Summer's ahead - time for some hardcore exposure :)

mart22n

Hi everyone! Summer's coming and I'd like to share some thoughts with you. Long post, don't read :)

I've been more active at conquering my SA and admitting it to others lately. It's all a matter of small steps, to reprogram our brains towards the thinking "I'm not afraid of humiliation or people laughing at me, like I started to be when I was a child. I know what I'm doing and I'm fine minding my own business of conquering my fears, no matter what others are saying."

OK, so fun times of exposure self-therapy are ahead. I'm shaking already, which is good. I'm planning to:

1) This week: talk to at least 3 strangers every day. So far I've managed to talk to only about 1 or 2. I've admitted to them I've got SA. I know this sounds a bit stupid, but whatever, I'll find different opening lines and topics, or start with no certain topic at all (where are you coming from? What are you doing, etc.). I dare you do the same, believe me, the worst response I have received is "I don't want to talk to you". You can always come here and whine about the bad responses :)

2) A harder thing: disputing my thoughts by asking from others. E.g. I always get nervous when I'm left alone with a single person in a social situation. Puts pressure on me. OK, so I'm saying: "You know what, I'm always afraid to be left with a single person in the same room, I'm afraid he/she thinks I'm ridiculous. I'm saying this because I'm disputing my inadequate thoughts :)." Of course I'll try to do it in a casual manner.

3) I'm planning to report my progress to a friend (who is a social phobic), and to the psychologist I'm getting counselling from already.

Mindset: Instead of repeating myself: "I have social phobia", I've replaced it with "I love destroying my social fears!" So if anyone asks, why I'm acting weird sometimes (a la saying something outrageously weird, or singing in the public etc), I can just say "I'm destroying my social fears"

Another thought: I hope most of you people want to have a husband/wife and children in the future. So, instead of being ashamed to death to admit to them "I have had social phobia all my life" when they ask you what you did when you were young, you can say "Hey, I used to be really shy, but then I started to conquer my fears and irrational thoughts, and have since started to enjoy doing it!" (I guess it's a lifelong process anyway, but it's fun :)). Think about your life in 5 years...if the thought makes you sigh, then you already know you need to take action.

Remember: the worst in ANY social situation when ANYTHING happens to you (well, besides getting beaten etc), is that people think "OMG, he/she is a weirdo/nutcase etc. BUT, if you know your mission, destroying your social fears, acting a bit weird is one of your GOALS to get used to the feeling that people MAY think you're a total xyz.

Let's see what has happened at the end of the summer! I'll report about my actions weekly.

Love,
Martin

Feathers

LOL! Love your attitude!! :) haha

Good luck with it!!

/Probably easier to do in a big city than a small town I guess, some of it can be done everywhere, probably?! :)/

I'd probably stick with the first one or two sentences if with one person in a room - then again it doesn't really get that awkward if there's just one person, one can talk about various things.. For me in a small group would be a bit more awkward I guess... You're very BRAVE!! LOL!!

Do report and tell us how it goes!! :)

EscapeArtist

Love it, love it all! I see a very common thread of pure honesty in your approach, and nothing works better than truth and honesty. You go!!

I also once planned to do the 'talk to 3 strangers a day' but I never did it :( apart from one day. I really admire your drive!! Can't wait to hear more about your exposures!

mart22n

Hi everyone!

A week's passed. I have talked to 22 strangers this week :) Also, as a bonus, I managed to sing aloud in a bus, and then sing twice to a single person as an opener.

I'm continuing this "mission" this week, it's not that hard any more.

I also did disputing of beliefs twice, like I asked my friend "Do you think I'm pitiful or ridiculous because I'm afraid to talk to people?" He said, of course not.

This week, at work, I am going to talk to the people I rarely had he courage to talk to...like some louder guys, who I'm afraid will laugh at me, but, whatever, feeling the fear is constant pain; being laughed at is temporary pain. I'll choose the second kind of pain :) I don't even know what I'm going to talk to them about. Need to improvise.

All the best,
Martin

INFJ

Kudos sounds like some accomplishment!! I wish I could say the same ;)

I'm fine with one on one, can share the deepest feelings or thoughts with anybody, my problem is large groups in social situations.

Parties, concerts, clubs, stadiums, festivals, you name it are always stress inducers. To add insult to injury I don't like even being around acquaintances..........

1-2 people I'm fine can do anything more than that is just a no go. Best of luck on your journey.

1) This week: talk to at least 3 strangers every day. So far I've managed to talk to only about 1 or 2. I've admitted to them I've got SA. I know this sounds a bit stupid, but whatever, I'll find different opening lines and topics, or start with no certain topic at all (where are you coming from? What are you doing, etc.). I dare you do the same, believe me, the worst response I have received is "I don't want to talk to you". You can always come here and whine about the bad responses :)

2) A harder thing: disputing my thoughts by asking from others. E.g. I always get nervous when I'm left alone with a single person in a social situation. Puts pressure on me. OK, so I'm saying: "You know what, I'm always afraid to be left with a single person in the same room, I'm afraid he/she thinks I'm ridiculous. I'm saying this because I'm disputing my inadequate thoughts :)." Of course I'll try to do it in a casual manner.

3) I'm planning to report my progress to a friend (who is a social phobic), and to the psychologist I'm getting counselling from already.

Mindset: Instead of repeating myself: "I have social phobia", I've replaced it with "I love destroying my social fears!" So if anyone asks, why I'm acting weird sometimes (a la saying something outrageously weird, or singing in the public etc), I can just say "I'm destroying my social fears"

This is fantastic Martin! You're really taking action to become more confident and self-assured. This is exactly how I overcame my social phobia. Just constantly pushing myself and taking baby steps until I became the person I am today!

You're realizing the most important thing: what other people think about you really doesn't matter. All that really matters is how you view yourself, and how you respond to their behavior.

One thing I recommend doing, though, is that you have any lingering anxiety or fear... take a moment whenever it happens to STOP and think about what is going through your mind. What do you see happening in the future if you were to go and talk to that person? What do you hear your internal dialogue saying? How do you feel the sensation of fear? If you can gather this knowledge, you can understand and acknowledge the fear and then push through it more easily.

mart22n

Hi and thanks for the advice, Friendyourfear.

I'll analyze a short situation here. So one coworker of mine is a fun and outgoing guy who seems to love to talk to everyone. Sometimes I meet him on my way to work. Today when I saw him from a distance on my way to work, a surge of fear ran through my body. Why? Because I'm afraid that he will dislike me for being so silent. It's like I'm expected to talk as much as he does. I'm also afraid he will consider me ridiculous for being afraid of people. Now, people, we need to test these two beliefs! How? Well, directly: I'm going to ask him: 1) I'm quite shy in your company. I want to know, do you think less of me when I'm shy and afraid to talk to people? 2) Do you think I'm ridiculous when I'm afraid to talk to people, or worrying about my impression?

Other than that, I'm continuing my "3 strangers a day" practice (which has been 1 and 2 during the past two days, but I promise I'll fix this :))