Suffering with Social Phobia

Benjamin555

I'm 18 years old, I've always had a Social Phobia. My dad's in the army too so I spent most of my life moving around, which really didn't help at all. Back three years ago I almost ended everything, my dad hated me because I'm not a party animal like him, my mom and sister ignored my existence, my brother bullied me in school. It was just one thing after the other and it made me think "was the only reason I was born to suffer?" I almost ended my own life then, but I found a better solution to that. Though solutions to problems like this aren't easy, I took the hard road and tried to find ways to cope with this. I'm still deathly afraid of meeting new people, talking to my friends, and definatly hanging out with others. I push my self to do these things thinking if I can overcome my barriers to meeting people this lonely life be better. I've been doing this for three years, I still can't make the first move when it comes to talking others, I still have a wall blocking me from going to places besides school and home. My personality still sucks. The one benefit to everything in my life has been moving to Wisconsin and having people force themselves to befriend me. But what am I going to do when we're all done with school and everyone goes their own way, I'm going to be alone again...

Hmm, are you taking meds? therapy? Your family life sounds awful, I feel for you. It can't help matters. The people on here will help you..anything you need were here.

Benjamin555

Hmm, are you taking meds? therapy? Your family life sounds awful, I feel for you. It can't help matters. The people on here will help you..anything you need were here.

Thank you, I really appreciate it :). I am currently not doing any of those, I don't believe in taking meds though.

SeptembersGold19

I'm the same way... I don't talk to anyone really unless I'm drunk... then I'm a completely different person... I socialize with anyone and everyone! But I am not drinking anymore and am trying to get on meds.

SeptembersGold19

Oh, and if it weren't for medication I don't even think I could have survived this long! Meds have really helped me out in the past... and as for friends, friends come and go.... i have met and lost so many people in my life already and i'm only 20.

Benjamin555

Oh, and if it weren't for medication I don't even think I could have survived this long! Meds have really helped me out in the past... and as for friends, friends come and go.... i have met and lost so many people in my life already and i'm only 20.

It's good to hear you aren't drinking anymore :), as for Meds I don't disagree with them because they do help people, I just don't like the way they make me feel, maybe I had a bad doctor or something but they just made things worst.

I wouldn't have survived without meds, and the internet(Where I can talk to others). I also have had many many friends/acquaintances in my time and I am only 24.

sarahe17

feel really bad for you, you've had it bad, if they're good friends then the friendship will carry through, I understand how u feel about making friends, I have the worry about after school too

MelonCollie

Your story sounds similar to mine. My mother is always telling me I'm weird and that it's not normal for me to behave the way i do. I know she wishes i was more social. But i just cant be.

I've had social phobia ever since i could remember too. as a baby I slept all day and never really did much. My parents wondered if I was autistic. The doctors tested me by putting a bunch of toys in front of me. I didn't move to play with them like other normal babies. I was cautious even then.

I feel the same way about there being a wall blocking you from your house to the outside world. I feel agoraphobic sometimes too.

We should be friends :)