Stuttering when asking

takethislife

So this is getting a problem in the last couple of years. I don't remember stuttering that much before. Why it happens??? :mad:
It got to the point where i would say something (like in a group) but i don't because i know i will stutter. I sometimes had a problem in school when i knew the answer but i didn't say it beacuse of it.

I noticed that I stutter when I want to ask something or say something, would i say, on my own.. anyway when no one asked me. I also noticed it's worse when i'm somewhere or with someone i'm not comfortable.

Yeah I could go see a, what do you call it, a speech therapist but i don't know if he'd help me because I'm sure it's a psychological thing for me. Once this thing happened after which I felt so confident and had no anxiety for a while. I also didn't stutter, I could say what I wanted when i wanted! Besides I don't think I'd stutter with the therapist because when i'm asked or anyway when i'm expected to say something I speak fine.

Anyway... Does anyone else have this asking problem? Or some advice?

Luka

I have no advice unfortunately but I just wanted to input that I'm exactly the same! I always mess up my sentences and causes more anxiety for me. I'm glad I can relate to you.

A speech therapist may be useful as the mechanics of it may be coming about because of the anxiety - maybe tight chest/shallow breathing? They could train you how to get the speaking right even in tense situations. A good psych therapist may be able to address both the mechanics and the thought processes that are happening

Phoenixx

I tend to stutter a bit when I'm asking something too, especially asking people in authority or in front of a group.

I'd like to see a speech therapist someday. Not so much for the stuttering though, but I do have a slight lisp from my partial cleft palate which I'm kinda self-conscious of. It's also hard for me to pronounce some words because of it. It's not a major problem, I just get too overly concerned with it. :/

bigcat1967

I do get my words mixed up - so what I do is slow my speech down. I relax myself therefore my words come out better.

Think before you talk and take things very slowly.

Panther

yh i try to say something like thanks or something and it just doesnt come out it sounds like a squeek and the person doesnt hear or it sounds reli weird and if im nervous about saying something my voice will shake and i can hear it shaking and it just makes me more nervous and also i recently seem to not beable to say what i want to like i cant think of the words and it just trails off into a murmur i know this isnt stuttering but just thought it kind of relates a bit maybe.