Stuck in Dead End JObs as a Graduate

Richey

Alright so i'm 26 and still working in a casual hospitality job as a graduate in computer science. applying for around ten jobs per day. i feel that luck isnt on my side at the moment as i thought i'd start my career straight away...but there is no way i can rent a flat or have a life living like this. a part of me feels that self esteem is a confidence barrier at interviews and perhaps other candidates are more convincing where as i tend to be myself and maybe i'm to honest....

so i'm finding life as a young adult very hard, especially for a male when you're expected to be successful...its just alot of pressure. sometimes i don't feel that i'm really built for this rat race thing, but just a nice enjoyable job and some friends and a flat to live in is all i aim for but even that seems far fetched right now..

i'll give it a year and see where i'm at but i'm thinking of disappearing if it doesn't improve. because the longer it takes the more humiliating it feels and i've always fantasised about just getting up and leaving and starting a new life far away from the city. anything would be better then living around people who are doing way better then you and rubbing it in my face and the obvious humiliaton of still not being in a proper skilled job or having a good bunch of friends and a girlfriend.

Last edited:

DanFC

It's not a good time to be job hunting is all. I myself have applied to a number jobs without getting into one, probably not due to SA/SP but to my impatience with the interviewers (I have told them off more than once). Someone I knew got his MBA last year, and he hasn't found a position yet. All I can say is hold in there until the market is more receptive to graduates.

The good thing is that you can blame your bad luck on the economic situation :)