Stuck in a room of relatives...

SilentAndShy

After getting married, we're having people come to visit and offer their congratulations. Fine.

Unfortunately, I, sometimes have to sit and engage in conversation. So far, I've said hi and exited the room to either disappear in another room; hide in the kitchen helping put food out. But one time, I had to sit with relatives I don't feel comfortable at all with so I was sat there, twitching my feet, scratching my arm slowly and trying to look at the TV as I was hesitant to make eye contact.

Then I took an opportune moment to exit the room and hide upstairs to take a "breather" before I went back again to do the same as above.

Anyone else escaped a room of relatives to take a break or calm down etc?

slimjim119

Yes I have. The worst thing is being in a room full of nosy relatives. Asking all kinds of questions. I like silence when I'm watching a football game or another sporting event on TV. Unless the conversation is about sports or something else. I hate when I have to talk about myself. How my life is going.

Your doing the right thing. Leave the room. Take a breather. Go outside. Get some fresh air and clear your head. I like staying outside and having a catch with my nephew. The exercise relieves the stress.

Last edited:
This is without any doubt what I would have done, when not being in my normal state the wisest thing to do would be to leave what makes me ill at ease.

Happened to me at my cousin's wedding, I hate celebrations and noisy people, I just went outside for a while because that made me feel uncomfortable and I couldn't hide it.

Better leave than look tense.

Don't trouble yourself with it, your relatives would have probably understood why you left the room, I mean , that's YOUR wedding... you are the center of attention here, no wonder this makes you feel nervous.

Last edited:

AlienGeranium

I have found quite an effective method for dealing with rooms full of relatives. First, I go a few days without showering, making sure to get lots of physical activities in. Then I wear some clothes I found balled up under my bed, which appear to have been waiting to be washed for the better part of the year. Upon arrival, I find a nice seat, stretch out, and watch as the relatives politely excuse themselves to another room. What a shame they never got the chance to ask about job or hobbies!

Sam_9XS

AlienGeranium, that's funny. I don't really think there's any relatives I would feel uncomfortable around. I always just have questions to ask people, I suppose.

You should carry an airhorn with you, and whenever you feel uncomfortable, unexpectedly sound the horn and scare the hell out of everyone! It would make for a very nice laugh to ease the existing tension.