stepping up for others

chibiXphantom

i've noticed that when it comes to helping others or getting things done that no one else will do, my anxiety seems to dissipate.

for example, i was with my mom and sister shopping one day and we got to the mall a bit early, as most of the shops weren't open. both my mom and sister were too shy to ask someone when the rest of the stores opened, so i just calmly walked up to an employee at one of the only stores open early and asked them what time everything opened. no anxiety at all.

another example is i'm really afraid of bees. probably one of my biggest fears. like i will run out of a room if there is a bee around and wont go back in there until someone kills it. however there was a bee on the bus back when i was in school. a bunch of girls were moving to the other side of the bus because they were afraid of the bee. calmly i grabbed a book and smashed it. no fear at all.

i dont really understand why my fears seem to go away when it comes to stepping up for other people. any one else like this?

AtTheGates

Banned
good. The world needs more people who arent hesitant to help others....we have too much of the opposite...courage and fortitude are certain virtues that many people dont have especially when it comes to doing the right thing/stepping up for people.

Trends change, styles change, pop culture changes but there are certain things that ALWAYS stay consistent: Morals and virtues....Those will never change. They've been around for ages. There are stories from thousands of years ago that still remain relevant today...stories of triumph, courage, kindness, and fortitude....everything else had withered to dust through the centuries but THOSE are the things that have lived on.

anyway, I kind of went off on a tangent there but you get what I mean.

Last edited:

The Observer

i've noticed that when it comes to helping others or getting things done that no one else will do, my anxiety seems to dissipate.

for example, i was with my mom and sister shopping one day and we got to the mall a bit early, as most of the shops weren't open. both my mom and sister were too shy to ask someone when the rest of the stores opened, so i just calmly walked up to an employee at one of the only stores open early and asked them what time everything opened. no anxiety at all.

another example is i'm really afraid of bees. probably one of my biggest fears. like i will run out of a room if there is a bee around and wont go back in there until someone kills it. however there was a bee on the bus back when i was in school. a bunch of girls were moving to the other side of the bus because they were afraid of the bee. calmly i grabbed a book and smashed it. no fear at all.

i dont really understand why my fears seem to go away when it comes to stepping up for other people. any one else like this?

Wow imagine that....other people are "normal" and didn't attack or insult or judge or do any of the crazy stuff a lot of people on this forum "think" others are going to do them in a social exchange. As for "stepping up for others" the the real reason you can do it and everyone can but doesn't is because of two things, love and fear. We naturally want to help and or defend those in need because its in our nature. The ones who dont help are so encapsulated in fear the do nothing. You are kindness, may love be your guide.

Diend

I think it has to do with selfishness vs selflessness and being selfless is less anxiety inducing.

AlienGeranium

I find for me, and maybe it is the same for you, that in some situations my anxiety is overshadowed by some other feeling and more or less disappears. It's weird, little things like making a phone call may freak me out but then I'll be thrown into some high pressure situation and I'll be totally calm, cool, and collected. I've always thought of it as my brain prioritizing, and it being forced to realize that in some situations little things that usually make me anxious actually don't matter. It's actually ironic that I'm probably less anxious in a lot of situations that would increase anxiety in others. Anxiety is weird :idontknow:

dannyboy65

I do the same thing, I guess the idea of being brave makes me feel good. Like one time me and my friend were playing pool at a bar, someone asked us to gamble and play for money. My friend was awkwarded out but I told the guy no and he left. I don't usually do that but I knew my friend wouldn't so I had too.

Halym

Banned

Yeah.. I have experienced that kind of thing before.. And I don't seem to succeed in anything when I do it for only myself.. But when I do anything for others, I seem to succeed in those things...

Deco

I feel good when I help others too. But I avoid making myself avaible all the time and not letting people take advange of me. Many people don't understand gratitude or respect these days.