Stephen Hawking finally lost his marbles?

Masychefx2

Banned
you do realise that the conditions on earth are like a one in a trillion possibility the amount of things that had to happen for us intelligent beings to form is un real, i doubt highly there are or ever will be any other intelligent beings in the entire universe, and even if there were they- one... would be incredibly far away (talking millions of light years away) and whos to say they would even have technology thats something man has created. Were just the right distance from the sun, we have moon which is perfectly co ordinated with earth, dinosaurs had to form before us before we flourished, atmosphere just right, correct ratio of land to water... planet size is not too big not too small... we have a planet which defends us from potentially devastating asteroids... im very skeptical im not sure there would even be bacteria anywhere in the universe let alone a friggin super alien species and why does everyone draw up aliens with 2 arms and legs why would they evolve just like humans they'd probably wouldnt communicate, have a arse for a face etc,,,

market.garden

you do realise that the conditions on earth are like a one in a trillion possibility the amount of things that had to happen for us intelligent beings to form is un real, i doubt highly there are or ever will be any other intelligent beings in the entire universe, and even if there were they- one... would be incredibly far away (talking millions of light years away) and whos to say they would even have technology thats something man has created. Were just the right distance from the sun, we have moon which is perfectly co ordinated with earth, dinosaurs had to form before us before we flourished, atmosphere just right, correct ratio of land to water... planet size is not too big not too small... we have a planet which defends us from potentially devastating asteroids... im very skeptical im not sure there would even be bacteria anywhere in the universe let alone a friggin super alien species and why does everyone draw up aliens with 2 arms and legs why would they evolve just like humans they'd probably wouldnt communicate, have a arse for a face etc,,,

In the vast expanse of space how do you know the conditions we have on earth are one in a trillion? Also, there is no reason why alien life form needs the same atmospheric ingredients as life on earth does. Scientists think Europa could contain life - microbes - but it's -148 degrees on Europa's surface, so what works for Earth doesn't necessarily work for others.

And there are billions and billions of Suns out there, billions of which will have orbiting planets. All life needs to form is for one of these planets to be stable for long enough, and given the age of the universe and the sheer size of it, the numbers are stacked greatly in favour of other life bearing planets.

Masychefx2

Banned
In the vast expanse of space how do you know the conditions we have on earth are one in a trillion? Also, there is no reason why alien life form needs the same atmospheric ingredients as life on earth does. Scientists think Europa could contain life - microbes - but it's -148 degrees on Europa's surface, so what works for Earth doesn't necessarily work for others.

And there are billions and billions of Suns out there, billions of which will have orbiting planets. All life needs to form is for one of these planets to be stable for long enough, and given the age of the universe and the sheer size of it, the numbers are stacked greatly in favour of other life bearing planets.

yes but i doubt creatures under the sea can form technoglogy :/

i find it hard to believe... if any bactieria is found on 'europa' for instance then i guess ill be slightly more open minded...

market.garden

yes but i doubt creatures under the sea can form technoglogy :/

i find it hard to believe... if any bactieria is found on 'europa' for instance then i guess ill be slightly more open minded...

Yeah, and if Europa is stable for long enough then who knows what it'll be like 500 million years from now.

One way of thinking about it is looking at Earth. If some alien life form saw our planet 3 billion years ago they'd have seen nothing but bacteria and microbes - 3 billion years later and look what we have :)

I'm pretty sure I saw something on BBC about some lifeforms on Earth that don't even need oxygen - some miniscule blob type thing they found somewhere...that opens up another door to a whole bag of new questions :D

Chlo

Banned
I know this is stupid but
i have always wondered.. what happens when you come to the end of space?
everything has to end somewhere right? i wonder whats at the end of space.. maybe a brick wall? o.o

Masychefx2

Banned
everything has to end somewhere right? i wonder whats at the end of space.. maybe a brick wall? o.o

haha i thought that too :s but i watched this tv show apprently universe expands faster then light and the speed of light is impossible to achive (unless ur light lol)

market.garden

I think there's like a bonus level after it or something. Either way you get mad bonus points for reaching it :D

I've no idea. But I think that a lot of people in the old days used to ask... what happens when you reached the end of Earth? 2D. You sail and sail... and come to the end. But no. Earth is spherical (sort of). So to get 'out of it', you've to travel perpendicular to the surface. In other words, upwards (3D).

We're now saying what happens when you come to the end of space? I'm just guessing, but maybe it's curved. You can't get to the end of it in 3D, just like you cannot expect surface travel to take a person out of Earth. They say that the fourth dimension is time... but I've no idea. I'm not sure I want to find out what is at the end of space or use a fourth dimension or think of more dimensions than three.

haha i thought that too :s but i watched this tv show apprently universe expands faster then light and the speed of light is impossible to achive (unless ur light lol)

Science takes countless doubletakes and u-turns. What is 'fact' now might well still be fact, but there might be things we're missing when we first derived our observations/theories. Our technology and assumptions may be absolutely naive and childish to an alien civilization, like the technology and assumptions of just fifty years ago were proven to be inaccurate and outdated today.

I'm fairly sure there's life on other planets, even if it's just microbes.. The earliest microbes on Earth (archaebacteria?).. many of them were anaerobic and thrive under the most supposedly brutal conditions. They're still around today. Have you read a book called "The Judas Strain"? I think that that scenario might also be possible... well, maybe not, but it's a scary thought.

Something from outer space, microbes or just some unknown chemicals coming into earth and mutating our bacteria and other microbes. Our body is mostly NOT our own cells. I think something like 90% of it is foreign. So if that happens, 90% of our own body will turn against us. Not to mention the legions of microbes already in the environment.

But I'm rambling... lol. Just that I kind of like microbes. At least the benign ones.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I'm just guessing, but maybe it's curved. You can't get to the end of it in 3D, just like you cannot expect surface travel to take a person out of Earth. They say that the fourth dimension is time... but I've no idea. I'm not sure I want to find out what is at the end of space or use a fourth dimension or think of more dimensions than three.
Yes. Current theory is that space itself is curved. Though unfortunately our measurements of it seem to indicate otherwise.

And there's supposed to be 11 spatial dimensions now, not even counting time as a dimension.