Standing up on a train ride.

Richey

Is anyone else ever forced to stand up on a bumpy train ride? i dont know why but for some reason my anxiety on these occasions causes me to lose my balance. if the train is almost empty i am fine and i feel relaxed but there have been a few occasions this week where i am standing up ready to leave the train and then at the last minute the driver slams the breaks on and everyone else who is standing doesn't move at all but i end up losing my footing ..if its a really bumpy ride i end up holding onto the bar really tight. but while this was happening i noticed a family and a kid standing up and they seemed relaxed as if it was "no big deal"

its really embarrassing. and it just makes me feel like an idiot leaving the train.

i am sporty as well. i dont why i end up losing my balance so easily. i do have a light build though. so annoying.

its either all in my head or i have a balance problem on trains.

Last edited:
Yeah I've had this problem too... I'm just guessing, but for myself I think it's because I'm self-conscious of balancing.. and that makes the actual act of balancing harder.. if that makes any sense to you.

I used to have the same problem, which I also put down to being over-anxious about loosing my balance and looking stupid.
I found it helpful to look out of the train's windows and focus on something stationary outside (while hanging onto the trains bar/back of seat of course).

Diend

I think you should let yourself go. Everybody is like this. The fact that you tense up causes you to lose your balance even more.