SPW band?

rand0m_guy

^ I reckon so - Skype is laggy as hell - for me anyway.

I was testing out the mic on my webcam and it seems like it could be okay quality-wise.

So yeah, just let me know if anything happens. :)

SilentType

Banned
I'll be getting my recording gear in about a week or so. I think we should all try to agree on a cover song for our first project just to get us acquainted with one another.

So start naming some songs you think fit the feeling of the SPW community. I already mentioned that Brett Dennen song from my sig but heres another one I think might work:

YouTube - Colin Hay - Overkill Lyrics

Post some songs and after 5 people post some songs we'll start taking votes for what one we want to cover for our first SPW track.

Peace

SilentType

Banned
Haha yes! Scrubs is where I first heard Overkill. The Janitor is THE MAN.

Pieces is a good song too. It almost makes me proud to be a loner, haha.

Peace

Drummr

I've played drums for a few years now and i have an electronic set that I record with. But I mainly play metal-ish stuff.

Joolin

I've played drums for a few years now and i have an electronic set that I record with. But I mainly play metal-ish stuff.

Are you into doom metal at all? Stuff like Yob, Electric Wizard, Jesu, Nadja, Sunn0))), Earth, etc.? I used to be really into fast metal, but over the years my taste in metal has been getting progressively slower. I still like some of the faster stuff like High on Fire or Iron Maiden, but I'm way more into super slow stuff like doom or drone metal.

Perhaps we could do something halfway between and cover something by Black Sabbath. My vote is for Fairies Wear Boots or Hand of Doom.

Drummr

Are you into doom metal at all? Stuff like Yob, Electric Wizard, Jesu, Nadja, Sunn0))), Earth, etc.? I used to be really into fast metal, but over the years my taste in metal has been getting progressively slower. I still like some of the faster stuff like High on Fire or Iron Maiden, but I'm way more into super slow stuff like doom or drone metal.

Perhaps we could do something halfway between and cover something by Black Sabbath. My vote is for Fairies Wear Boots or Hand of Doom.

I'm actually more into the "metalcore" type of metal. Bands like August Burns Red, MyChildren MyBride, Norma Jean, etc. But I'm up for anything (within reason lol)

SilentType

Banned
I was hoping people who are into different genres would find each other and start collaborating. I'm glad I thought of this. A lot of people who would otherwise be playing their instrument alone are going to benefit from this. I can't wait for my recording stuff to get here to I can get started :).

Peace

Joolin

How about this.. we each just record basic songs (cover or original) on our own using whatever instrument we have, post them on some kind of file transfer site and link them here, then we each take someone else's song, add a part, and post it back on the site, and pretty soon we'll have a bunch of songs. Also, if possible, try to keep the individual parts in separate files to make the final songs easier to mix.

To start off, who knows of a good file transfer site? We would need to set up a shared account on the site so that we could all access it whenever we want.

P.S. To make the collaboration easier, include a note with the song's structure (how many bars of verse, chorus, etc. or time signature - as detailed as you're willing to get).

Last edited:

SilentType

Banned
Looks like globalfolder.com would work. Free personal accounts include 100mb of storage and 3gb of file transfer per month. We can just keep a list here of people's globalfolder screen names and send our recordings to each other to add to. Sounds good to me.

Peace

sleepysparrow

This is an awesome topic, and a great idea. I wish I lived close to anyone who wanted to jam with me. I play guitar and bass. I really want to buy a drum machine and play around with it as well. I write music and sometimes sing but i'm terrified of showing anyone so I just feel useless. It would be nice to feel comfortable with someone feeling the way I do. I love music, I love playing, it defines me, really.

SilentType

Banned
I'm still trying to get my recording setup... I've learned few cover songs I'd like to try to put together with some of you from here, but I'm waiting to get my credit card in the mail from musiciansfriend.com that would give me no interest and no payments for a year. I'd have all the crap I pay for now paid off by then anyways... I got a letter almost 2 weeks ago saying I'd get it in a few days, but it hasn't come... It's the second time I've tried to get it, so I'm gonna contact them right now come to think of it...

If anyone has teamed up on any music around here you should post it up :)... I'd love to hear what you've cooked up.

Peace

Last edited:

Drummr

Maybe each person should post what genre of music they play/listen to or what bands they would like to cover. That would make it easier if we were to do any cover songs or originals.

I play keyboards, but I don't know how much time I'd have for recording stuff. I love new wave, like early New Order. I play guitar and bass also, but no longer have any such instruments. ::(:

[ignore ignore ignore ignore]

This is kind of an experiment - it's hard to keep track of what people play and the type of music they like, so I made a Google Docs spreadsheet - you can add yourself to it by going here (I think this will work...)
[nevermind - it wouldn't let people save changes!]
Location isn't so important, unless you're looking for someone local to play with. Put the instruments you can play but don't have access to in parentheses. For styles put what you'd most like to play. And for bands put what influences your playing the most. Covers is for ideas for cover songs you have. Feel free to add more columns if you think of something.
And then maybe it'd be easier to figure out who you'd want to collaborate with, or split off into bands...
I know, I'm such a computer nerd for doing this. And I'm supposed to be studying for finals...

Last edited:

Drummr

I tried to add to the spreadsheet but couldn't save it.

Maybe it would be easier to just put all that info into a post.
something like:

Instruments- Drums
Styles- Hard Rock/Metal
Bands- Disturbed, Underoath, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Blessthefall, Killswitch Engage, etc.