Spirituality through SA?

Lostinthemusic

I think Buddhism appeals to me but I'm a little daunted by the idea of walking into a temple as someone who wasn't brought up with the religion.

Dont be scared. Since my last post this is actually the path that I have started on. I was a bit worried myself at first, but the great thing about Buddhism is that compassion is central in the path to enlightenment/nirvana. You could be a self-realized fly that somehow made it clear you wanted instruction and the monks/priests would treat you with the utmost respect and love. Granted there are some pretty complicated aspects of Buddhism, but the great thing that the Buddha taught, which made it so appealing for me in the first place, is that just because he teaches doesn't mean you should blindly follow. You should in fact test his teachings and only believe them upon your own experience of the ideas behind them.

I'm still reluctant to label myself a Buddhist, but it seems to be my path at least for now. I can already feel myself digging through the layers of 'self'.

With whatever you end up finding for yourself I wish you great happiness and peace of mind.

chrisjurban

sometimes i'm in contact with that side of myself...i primarily perceive the world through an intellectual lens. i analyze everything, it's actually one of my personal demons and puts me into this weird anxious state i call "the confusion." (basically where i overanalyze a situation to the point of extreme inaction--even my thoughts stall) hoooooooooowever, when i'm not having ****ing joint issues, i like to go for really long walks (upwards of two hours/10 mi), especially through nature...i reflect and even pray. sometimes, because my reflection occurs primarily through my intellectual centering, i get that ultra-aha-moment where it feels like i reach a higher state through understanding. when i pray i like to focus on my steps as they contact the ground, and look skyward, and the sensation is.......it feels like there is force all around, that connects everything.....you feel it in the trees and the dirt and just everything.