SP Armor

JWH

When growing up, I dealt with my fears through wearing the right clothes etc. After high school, I developed a rather embarrassing fear of needing to go to go to the toilet where there were none whilst out in public - this I suppose has elements of a panic attack. So for that I brought and still do bring the trusty old Immodium with me wherever I go. That and the phone.

I then developed a camera fetish and brought one at all times. The camera gave me an excuse to look at people and to observe the world... not that I wanted to, but nevertheless I did it. Now this has worn off, and I find myself withdrawing once again.

So what about you? What are the trinkets, safety measures or habits that you have accumulated with years of your SP? What has come, what has gone and most importantly, what worked?

Anonymous

i used to carry candy wherever i went because i was so afraid of my stomach growling and being somewhere quiet and drawing attention to myself (school, church, etc).

i also would bring pepto bismal tablets everywhere cuz getting the shits anywhere BUT home was a huge fear of mine

tommydog

waoh jwh that camera thing is real creative :lol:

iv been thinking about getting a pair of dark sunglasses. Never owned a pair before ! I think that would give me some extra "shade" from other people. Its kinda like babies you know, if they cover thier faces they think you cant see them, but it works for them :lol:

Iv even thought about going to the extreme a few times over the years, wearing a disguise. It would be subtle, the idea is to blend in like a normal person, not look like a drag queen :lol: but yer i wonder if i knew my identity was hidden i would act differently :idea: ??

Remus

Staff member
I used to have my 'anxiety bag' with me, bottled water incase I choked, painkillers, asprin (to put under my tongue incase I had a heart attack), my anxiety self help book, mobile for emergencies.

I dumped the bag in the end and felt liberated :)

Yossarian

I always take tissue/toilet paper. Don't want to get caught short :lol:
Plus I always take my cd player....yes I'm old fashioned but hey, it's a great way to block out the world, plus good upbeat music can help stay positive. I never take my phone though, I don't have any one to call :lol:

Horatio

For a while I went through a trench coat phase which mustve made me look rediculas especially in the summer. But it seemed to work.

Nowdays my armour involves always dressing in black. Its not a specific choice but kinda evolved into that years ago and in a weird way it feels right.

Also my hair has grown so long that it droops over my face down as far as my chin. This is partially due to my fear of going to the hairdressers but it does provide a sort of security blanket, if people cant read my face then maybe they wont know how shit and awkward I feel.

And also, here is my weirdest safety device. I nearly always carry a WW2 Gasmask bag with me at all times. Its handy for hiding my pills in, and my deoderant in case I sweat heaps and my coke etc. And hell, I just really like it. I wore my old one out and had to track down another one in an Antique shop. haha

Johnie

Yossarian said:
I never take my phone though, I don't have any one to call :lol:

I haven't got a mobile phone just because of this.

Q. What's the shorter list in the world?
A. My list of phone numbers!

I am interested in photography, but in my town it would be unwise for a man to walk around with a camera. He'd get arrested as a child molester - PC gone mad.

Johnie

LilMissTragic

I carry nothing, I dress so as if I'm seeking attention...apparently. You know, buckled trousers with bondage skirt over the top, big new rock boots etc. I might suffer from SP but it doesnt stop me dressing the way I want. I dont carry anything either cause I like my hands free. Just in case I need to punch someones lights out...maybe...lol.

Anonymous

Holy crap! I thought I was the only guy who needed a steamer trunk to leave the house LOL

At its height, my backpack ("man purse" lol, aka the drugstore on two legs) always had: random extra napkins/tissues/paper towles/TP, Pepto-Bismol, antacids, OTC painkillers, migraine pills, extra Effexor, some kava capsules, decongestant tablets, one or two ephedrine tablets, one or two tramadol capsules, one or two benzo tablets, cd player, headphones, cell phone, pens, paper, a magazine or book, toothbrush, toothpaste, bottle of water, extra sweatshirt, one or two condoms (hope springs eternal LOL).... I've pared that down greatly now.

Though I always seem to need the item(s) that I fail to bring...

Closer to the original question, I'm HUGE on sunglasses. They help me a lot when out and about. The only thing I don't like about when it's dark is that I can't wear sunglasses without looking like a freak or like a bad old 80s song :p

JWH

J, you reminded me... I always used to bring a pencils and paper with me when I was younger. Just incase I needed to draw something!

Anonymous

LOL !! I guess we do have a good amount in common. Too bad y'all're on the other side of the pond! (And, after the election, I must admit to wanting to be on your side of the pond...)

I try to "be prepared", yet I was the only one of the three boys in my family to NOT be a Scout :p

Even though I've cut down the amount of "survival tools" I bring with me, my jacket still is weighed down by the pounds of stuff bulging out of all the pockets (faux military jacket-- lots of pockets!!).

A great bit of SP Armor, which I've been lacking for the past 18 months, is a great relationship with an SO. (OK, it's been longer than 18 months, most of the last one could hardly be considered to qualify as being a "great relationship".... lol ).

Anonymous

It's not meant to be condescending-- it's just some common slang from these parts. It's a generic term to encompass all the various sorts of, well, significant others that one may have. (Not all at once... oh, you know what I mean. ;) )

Quarkz

When I was growing up I would ALWAYS wear a hat, my mum called it my security blanket (Didnt know I had SP back then) since then I always carry a bag, don't ask me why, it just gives me comfort. I pretty much always have my walkman with music because music is an escape to me and makes me happy.