Something my therapist told me...

DaaaBulls

My therapist the other day told me that in order for my mood to get better and become un-depressed(?) that I need to start doing things. What she meant by this was getting out and doing things that I can take experiences from.

For example, going on vacation in a foreign country. Driving to another state and doing some fun stuff there. Going hiking, mountain biking, etc. Learning to play tennis, walking downtown. All of these things stimulate the brain, she told me that doing the same thing everyday will depress the brain.

Now the question is how do we get out of the world we are in and start actually doing these things? I see a lot of people, including myself, who worry that they will not be able to attract someone because they are "boring" but if we just went out and did some stuff then we would have experiences to use socially. I think this is hope because it is not "us" that is boring, we just do not have the experiences yet.

Noca

Banned
Activity causes endorphins in the body to be released which are like the body's own opiates
(feel good drug).

cosmosis

Boring because of lack of experiences? I'm not so sure. On the surface it makes for great party talk, but when you really get to know someone, it's not so much their big experiences in life that are interesting anymore, but rather its their perception of the smaller things in life. At least that's how I see it. I know people who have been and done everything and they are some of the most boring people deep down. You can only tell someone about your trip to paris once, but you can could tell someone what it feels to see a simple sunrise a million times and it might never get old. That's the difference.

I do alot of the same things everyday because its a comfort to me. I think I might be a little autisic, but it doesn't seem to depress me in itself. In fact, if I try to exite my brain and change routine too much, I get a little shaken up and overwhelmed and only feel good when I get back to my usual life. It is good to push yourself, but also know your limits. The people who do all those things all day long, are simply those type of people who thrive on that type of lifestyle. I don't think there's any need to feel like you need to mimic those people though.