social phobia on campus

Erin

I have been at a new school for 4 months and the only person I know is my roomate. I am so tired of being the only one on campus that seems to be unable to form attachments to people...how do I even begin to overcome my anxiety if I can't handle going to a party without feeling horrible and panic-ridden?

I keep telling myself that I am a student first, and that I shouldn't feel bad about not having any freinds when I'm getting good grades. But I just don't feel right.

Anyone else here with SA on acollege or university campus?

spacecadet

Hi

I admire you for being at university. My illness hit me at 14 with social phobia and then when I was 16 I got psychotic features of my illness which interrupted my school work. I never made it past age 16 at school. Pat yourself on the back for being clever enough to be in uni. And don't be so hard on yourself. Friends will come in time if you accept yourself as you are and for your good points. The most importamt thing is to do well in your studies. Maybe also see your GP and tell him/her the problems you have just to let him know you might need help.
Some people make friends all the time and some people are slower. Dojn't beat yourself up. If you take things easy now you have every chance to be successful in the future.

Mooncalf

Yeah, I'm the same Erin. Been at University for one and a half years now, and the only people I know even slightly well are three guys in my class (who I very very rarely party with). I don't even know my flatmates very weel ... except one who seems to be a little socially phobic too (I don't know why but I'm always more comfortable with people who are shy).

But I don't let it get me down because I don't particularly want to party anyway *shrugs*. But just so you know I do understand how it feels. At the moment I do feel like I have nobody except my family who are about 100 miles away and my ex girlfriend who I'm trying to avoid most of the time because I'm still in love with her.

So your not alone. ;)

I have SA on campus, I have been going to college for about 6 years now, I never knew what I wanted and between that and the issues I have it is taking a long time, and lots of money I will owe. What I can say about friends, well I have two semi friends on campus, on is an old roommate that we hang out now, though he is leaving school soon and I will almost have no one to hang with since the other friend I rarely see. I am not the best at making friends, I know other people and might say hi, but friend wise it is hard. One thing that is against me is I am not a partier, I rarely drink and do nothing else, I have a hard enough time controlling myself before that. I think the thing that has affected me more then anything is my depression, because of it I wont want to go do anything let alone study or go to class, this can cause not only issues with meeting people but with grades etc.

What can I say positive wise, from what you said you havent been on campus long, I didnt even become friends with anyone till like 3 months or more in and that was my roommate, and even then I would say it was more just talking then friends. So it takes time, one thing that can help, though it can be alot to ask a SP person, it to go to school events, you never know there.

Emily_G

My freshman year I lived on campus at a little college....it was horrible, I stayed in my room 99% of the time when I wasn't at class or work.

After my 1st yr I transfered to a larger school and lived at home/got married...it was much easier as I didn't know anyone and no one bothered me :D

Why

last yr i dormed - hoping to get a social life but nope. I mainly hung out with hs frends, met a few new ppl but was very sad on campus and went home every weekend to escape my anxiety

this year i commute and there is less anxiety as ive become more secure with myself but still battling SA and loneliness everyday