Social phobia..... and dogs(?)

sucettes

When I turned 16 I got a dog (border collie) because I've always wanted one. My psychiatrist said that it would be good for me since he would make me go out of the house more. So I went on dog meetings with him and on trainings, etc and everything went well. We even won an obedience competition! :) He has always seemed to be a bit insecure and sensitive, but it's never been a problem. Now he's really aggressive to other people, and he even barks at cars, it can be anything. To be honest it's a nightmare to walk with him and meet people, because he always barks and everyone's scared of him...... But to me he's the sweetest dog ever, never have I met anyone who's adored me as much as him before. I love him to bits despite all the bad things. I have tried to talk to a dog trainer about this but he doesn't seem to believe it can get better... It's not fun when he's being like this but I can't take him away.. I just can't.... Some people really judge me because of my dog, they are accusing me for not making him behave properly but believe me I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING. So some people blame me, while others say that he's probably born like this and that it's only gotten worse over the years. I don't know what to do.

I wanted to ask if anyone else here has this problem? and if you think your dog is being affected by you because of your SA. I have heard that dogs can feel what the owner's feeling, so maybe he feel that I'm insecure and then I've made him turn like that too....... Or I don't know, hope it doesn't sound stupid. It's just a theory me and my family has been thinking about!

Mines similar, i think he's amazing, but he's always barking at other dogs, and people are always saying I can't control him. (terrifying when they talk to me like that)

But he's helped much more than he's hindered me. I get out far more, talk to more people, and women love him, which is always good :D

sucettes

Mines similar, i think he's amazing, but he's always barking at other dogs, and people are always saying I can't control him. (terrifying when they talk to me like that)

I know! I get so angry when they talk to me like that. They have no idea how much I've been trying and trying to make him better.....

But he's helped much more than he's hindered me. I get out far more, talk to more people, and women love him, which is always good :D

It was like that to me as well in the beginning. But now people doesn't even dare to talk to me, lol. He used to make me get out, now he's mostly making me stay in. Unless I go very late at night of course. It sucks, but I still love him. ::eek::

AGR

I know some people dont like to hear this and it would seem pretty obvious but it isnt,but dogs are animals,yes they are and will act like most other animal doesnt matter what you do,so yes they will be agressive towards other animals and yes they are highly territorial.

It was like that to me as well in the beginning. But now people doesn't even dare to talk to me, lol. He used to make me get out, now he's mostly making me stay in. Unless I go very late at night of course. It sucks, but I still love him. ::eek::

Thanks for giving me such an optimistic view of the future ::p:

Rembrandt Broam

It's not stupid at all. Dogs (like most animals) are very sensitive to body language, so any anxiety you feel will probably will be picked up by him to some extent, which could explain his nervous behaviour. It could also be that he is simply an anxious or nervous dog. Some of them are, just like us. ::(:

Lambie

My dog is the same, everytime I take her for a walk, if a car passes she will try to dive for it, or if we stop to talk to someone she will start barking like mad (as if to say you're disturbing my walk lol). Animals have a personality of their own, pay no notice to people who tell you that you're unable to control him. At least he's got a good home and his loved.
Perhaps the reason that he acts aggressive to other people is that he's just trying to protect you, or sees them as a threat.

sucettes

My dog is the same, everytime I take her for a walk, if a car passes she will try to dive for it, or if we stop to talk to someone she will start barking like mad (as if to say you're disturbing my walk lol). Animals have a personality of their own, pay no notice to people who tell you that you're unable to control him. At least he's got a good home and his loved.
Perhaps the reason that he acts aggressive to other people is that he's just trying to protect you, or sees them as a threat.

THANK YOU! I really needed to hear this! ::eek::

Thanks for giving me such an optimistic view of the future ::p:

Hahah, I'm sorry! I'm not saying that's your future though. So don't worry! :D

amnesiacinsomniac

Agh! People always will have opinions about dogs being *uncontrollable* mostly by insensitive trainers. A lot of them think that if your dog doesn't obey you at all times even when you are out, it's an *uncontrollable* dog. Sounds to me like your dog loves you very much and wants to protect you! Animals are great for social phobes.... I have a zoo! Well not really to that extent... I always say I love animals more than people. Thats why I became a dog groomer. Dogs don't judge you =)

But they can definately sense when you are in emotional pain. When I'm extremely down, my dog gently rests her head on my knee and gives my hand a few licks while looking into my eyes. It's very moving, the compassion a dog can have for it's "mommy". =)

Earthbound_Misfit

It is canine instinct to bark at things to protect territory and when those things move away from him and/or what he considers "his territory" he feels less threatened about a possible takeover of that territory. You are part of that territory. It's a sort of reward to him. I had a dog when I was homeless. We lived in a van in a bad part of town that was mostly drug addicts. When we would end up in a crowd people would back away in fear of Budweiser. He learned to protect that van... not by training but through other people's reactions. Border Collies are exceptionally perceptive dogs.

sucettes

Agh! People always will have opinions about dogs being *uncontrollable* mostly by insensitive trainers. A lot of them think that if your dog doesn't obey you at all times even when you are out, it's an *uncontrollable* dog. Sounds to me like your dog loves you very much and wants to protect you! Animals are great for social phobes.... I have a zoo! Well not really to that extent... I always say I love animals more than people. Thats why I became a dog groomer. Dogs don't judge you =)

I love animals more than people too. I've always had some kind of special connection with them. I know that my dog loves me very much. He looks at me as the best and coolest person ever. I can just feel it! ::eek::

Reminds me of this advert, lol:
YouTube - ‪super cool (dog)‬‏

But they can definately sense when you are in emotional pain. When I'm extremely down, my dog gently rests her head on my knee and gives my hand a few licks while looking into my eyes. It's very moving, the compassion a dog can have for it's "mommy". =)

Awww I know what you mean :) Thanks for the reply.

WeirdyMcGee

I think that animals are good for many things. Social anxiety, depression, sicknesses- with the right pet, a person can turn their life around.

I got my dad a cat 2 years ago because he was severely depressed and agoraphobic. He's gotten much better since then, even with all the deaths in the family. He's been able to move forward and I am happy for him.