Social phobia... a cop out?

HELLO

My boyfriend thinks that my social phobia/anxiety is a cop out and that almost everyone experiences social anxiety.

I'm sure most people do hate public speaking but is that really SA?

How would you explain to someone what SA is? Maybe tell them that we feel all the time like they did during the speech they gave in college public speaking class?

Sometimes I picture what my anxiety would look like inside my body... if it were a physical thing. Some days I think if I cut my chest open down the center and pulled apart the 2 halves steam would come shooting out and then upon peering inside I'd see red hot, molten, boiling lava... like I was looking into a volcano.

That's what SA feels like for me sometimes! :evil:

SilentOutlaw

I think most people experience social anxiety sometime in their lives, but not everybody suffers from social anxiety disorder. I think people who have social anxiety disorder suffer from overwelming anxiety in most social situations and it effects their everyday lives serverely. People who have never experienced social anxiety disorder have no idea what it is like, and how it can negatively effect your overall life. They can say all they want about others experiencing social anxiety, but it is not to the same degree as a social anxiety disorder sufferer.

Chilling__Echo

to put it the way my abnormal psychology professor did two weeks ago in class who also happens to be the head of the psychology department at my university, it's excessive anxiety about given social situations where one may be judged or scrutinized negatively (in the minds of the socially anxious). it becomes a vicious cycle when a person feels like they make their fear known by blushing or stuttering, sweating, etc so its like a self-fuffiled prophecy.

the difference is the source of the anxiety and how much you angonize over it. it's very real and not a cop out. i'm sure not one of us here would be born with it again if we had anything to do with it.

Chilling__Echo

:lol: aw

i do agree with you Crazy. it can be used as a cop out, but in that sense, so could any other pathological disease. or physical one for that matter. i dont think anyone should accept it as that would be the same as accepting defeat. but at the same time, only that person can decide what they can or cannot do at that time, what they're ready for and not ready for.

but i don't think people should imply that 1) they know what it's like when they don't have it and then 2) assume everyone else is like them and that it's not hard for us. this isn't directed at you Crazy, it's directed to the boyfriend that's questioning it's authenticity.

IronMaidenRockess

HELLO said:
My boyfriend thinks that my social phobia/anxiety is a cop out and that almost everyone experiences social anxiety.

I'm sure most people do hate public speaking but is that really SA?

How would you explain to someone what SA is? Maybe tell them that we feel all the time like they did during the speech they gave in college public speaking class?

Sometimes I picture what my anxiety would look like inside my body... if it were a physical thing. Some days I think if I cut my chest open down the center and pulled apart the 2 halves steam would come shooting out and then upon peering inside I'd see red hot, molten, boiling lava... like I was looking into a volcano.

That's what SA feels like for me sometimes! :evil:

I know what you mean. My boyfriend doesnt understand it. He tells me there are always worser off people in the world than me. Of course I know that, but it doesnt make me feel any better, it just makes me feel worse :(

He even said to me that I make it up to stay lazy so I dont have to get a job, that really hurt because thats not me at all

Richey

Yeah there is a fine line between occasionally feeling social anxiety and letting it stop you from being a more social person.

Its a phobia!

cptkoi

I find it very hard to explain to people what it is and how it affects me. Most people who know me say nah u don't suffer from that, ur nuts but u don't suffer from that. They read a summary of what it is and the answer is - yeah but we all suffer from that at some point or another. In part I have to agree.

I am also conscious that people do think its just a scam to explain why i have been weird for a good few years.

Social anxiety or phobia is surely unique to every sufferer in its intensity and causes/triggers.

To merely say that you pulling a fast one or trying to get out of something is harsh to say the least.

However surely there is also the point that once you know its affecting you, go get help and work on a resolution?