Social hierarchy

upndwn

I don't know if it's just me imagining things, but lately I've become aware of a sort of sublime social hierarchy within my circle of friends.

I may loose my apartment soon, because my landlord has sold his house. Some friends of mine was talking about renting a house together and I said that I would be interested in joining. When I spoke to the friend who told me this she seemed fine with it, but later when most of us were gathered and talking about this, they totally ignored me when I told them how exited I was to move in with them, and they gave some quick remarks about how nothing had been decided yet. They were basically four people and they had room for a fifth. I was the first one they told about this, but now they acted as if they hadn't told me anything. Then another friend of theirs arrived, one I didn't know well. Suddenly they were all talking about how they wanted her to take the last spot even though I was right in front of them. Again i tried to state my case since they had asked me first, but they just ignored me and continued trying to convince her.

The next day I met the last person who was in on the house deal, and she was the one who had told me about it in the first place, she was also the one who had found the house. I told her if they were still interested in having me there but she said that she was skeptical because I didn't have a job and she didn't know my sleep patterns (as if that should matter). I had made it really clear that money was no issue so wether I worked or not shouldn't be a problem. She then said that since I didn't have a car she was skeptical (even though only one of the other three had a car and the bus stop was a 5 minute walk from the house). I quickly realized that no matter what I said, they were not interested in having me there so I have given up on it.

After this I have realized that this isn't the first time I've been blown off because of social prejudices within my circle of friends. I had hoped that friendship meant more than social accomplishments, but I guess they're afraid of loosing face if others see them affiliated with someone who is, in their eyes, lower on the social ladder. I feel ostracized and hurt because these are people I counted as really close friends and I have known them for years. It's like when I was younger and popular people would pretend to like you only to publicly humiliate you for their amusement later on. All those memories of being bullied and left on the outside when I was younger returned. Maybe I read to much into this and that I had set my expectations to high, but I can't help but wonder what other things I may have missed out on because I wasn't popular enough in their eyes.

schist

You aren't imagining things, there is a sublime social hierarchy - not just within your friends, but within humankind in general.

As I see it, these aren't your friends - they clearly could not care less whether you end up homeless or not! Sad, really.

Cease all association with these worms immediately.

ShyChild

Ouch! I'd be hurt & pissed. I agree with schist- they aren't your friends. I wouldn't want them for friends & especially not for roommates. They are not good for their word & they turned their back on you when something "better" came along.

What if this other 5 person falls through? Will they come back around to you? I know this is hard, but don't take it personally b/c it sounds to me it wouldn't be a good deal for you.

carecrab

it saddens (is that a word) me to hear this, and i have to agree with the others.. these aren't your friends, because real friends.. would've acted.. well like.. real friends. (they could've let you stay with them, even if it was for a while. or even if they couldnt have you with them because needed the money for the rent they could have said that, but these are just BS reasons)

so a sort of recap:
- these aren't your friends from what we heard
- you can and deserve better friends
- there is social hierarchy, to me it doesnt matter where on the ladder you stand i can be friends with bums.. but the first impression might bounce me away from them
- alot of people here (me certainly) think you're great, really so you've got to see for yourself if these are your friends, and dont feel alone because you always have friends here

well that's all for me trying to help

where in norway do you live btw, like .. the north-north? or like .. oslo?
got an uncle who is a fisher way up in eh.. bergen is it called i think

Lambie

Some friends they sound! I wouldn't waste your time on them, they're just making petty excuses for you to not move in with them. You deserve so much better than them.

we_r_eternal

i agree with everyone- iv experienced similiar discrimination in the past... i'd say something cliche like "don't take it personally" but clearly it is personal! i wouldnt waste a single moment wondering what it is about you that they don't like cuz it doesn't make any difference... screw those "friends".. with friends like that, who needs friends!!

Newtype

Your friends are morons. Get rid of them. That's what I did and I never regretted it.

upndwn

Thanks for all your replies folks :)

The girl that told me about the house came and apologized for her behavior towards me yesterday. She was in a bad mood and she had had some bad experiences moving in with friends before (besides we don't know each other all that well). It appears that they decided not to take the house anyway. If it hadn't been for the fact that some of these guys are people I've hanged with for 15 years+ I would certainly have considered to remove them from my friends list.

@Carecrab

I live in a small town called Horten not far from Oslo. Bergen is a bit far from her on the westcoast of Norway. I've been there a couple of times and it's the city with the most precipitation a year in Norway (It has always rained when I was there).