Social Anxiety and Jobs

Insanewoman389

I'm still working on getting into GED classes so I'm kinda jumping the gun here but I've been thinking about jobs and my social anxiety because the ultimate goal of getting a GED is to be able to get a decent job. I'm just really worried about applying because of my SA I mean I'm terrified it'll affect my work performance and cost me a job. That and should I tell my employer that I have SA? Would it help or just hinder my chances of actually GETTING the job? I'm just looking for advice about the whole job thing so any help you guys could give me would be great, especially if anybody know of any jobs that accommodate social anxiety.

nicole1

I posted a couple of threads about this, but I'd like to address the education fact that differs from mine.

I think it's great that you see the importance of education and finding a job. It is quite difficult. I've suffered for some time. What I noticed is some people get further than some in the case of education and career.

I think it depends on how you tell your employer about your illness and if the job will be SP friendly. Legally, they can not turn you down for a job if you inform them about this. Maybe timing is a factor that should be considered. Most definitely, tell them if you think it will make things easier. It has helped me in some cases, and others I just didn't say anything.

It's not going to be easy, and all you can do is find a way to cop as you go out and put your best effort first.

What type of jobs are you looking to get anyway? Here is a link to a discussion on the topic that I find interesting because some people have dealt with this. An about.com link for jobs for those with SA/SP. And an additional forum topic link from Psych Central discussing SA and jobs.

Job help topic I posted.

A bit about my experience as an intern and SP/SA and what it got me.

About accommodations at work.

And the latest, my recent job hunting experiences.

I do wish you luck. It will be just another experience to add to your book of adventures.

Insanewoman389

I posted a couple of threads about this, but I'd like to address the education fact that differs from mine.

I think it's great that you see the importance of education and finding a job. It is quite difficult. I've suffered for some time. What I noticed is some people get further than some in the case of education and career.

I think it depends on how you tell your employer about your illness and if the job will be SP friendly. Legally, they can not turn you down for a job if you inform them about this. Maybe timing is a factor that should be considered. Most definitely, tell them if you think it will make things easier. It has helped me in some cases, and others I just didn't say anything.

It's not going to be easy, and all you can do is find a way to cop as you go out and put your best effort first.

What type of jobs are you looking to get anyway? Here is a link to a discussion on the topic that I find interesting because some people have dealt with this. An about.com link for jobs for those with SA/SP. And an additional forum topic link from Psych Central discussing SA and jobs.

Job help topic I posted.

A bit about my experience as an intern and SP/SA and what it got me.

About accommodations at work.

And the latest, my recent job hunting experiences.

I do wish you luck. It will be just another experience to add to your book of adventures.

Thanks! I just wish I had finished school regularly instead of having to go through all this hassle to get my GED lol

That's comforting that legally they can't turn me down because of my disability but I'm sure it's still a factor. I just don't won't to get in to a situation where they expect more from me than I can do cause I'm scared I'll mess up and they'll get angry and then I'll be fired and then I'll just be so humiliated and depressed :(

When you say it has helped you, did you tell them during the interview or after you got the job?

lol Yea I know I'm just so fearful of it :( I just don't have much confidence in myself to TRY and do the things I know I'm not good at and I won't know if I'm comfortable enough with my employer until I meet them and by then I will be applying for the job and pretty much saying I CAN do everything the application called for and most of the jobs that seem even REMOTELY OK for my SA all call for "Strong customer skills" "Good communication skills" I just get so flustered and anxious doing those things that it makes it hard so yea.... I guess I just need to look for better jobs XD

Thank-you for the reply it was really helpful especially the links :D

nicole1

When I saw that there was a problem, I told my supervisor. Most recently, on an interview, I told someone because I felt strongly likely that I'd get the job. Sometimes people are nice and understanding. At other times, they are assholes. Just learn as you go to spot who is and who MIGHT be.

Some things about me: I lack job contacts, I don't communicate much on the job, I don't like to interact as people have not really been warm or welcoming to me (I think it's because I'm too nice, a bit old for my age, so I'm seen as weird), I shake A LOT and try to control it. I said this because you have to know what you can and can't do.

Do you have a trade skill or talent? On your search, look for entry level. I'm shooting for a receptionist position. Do you have a preference?

Conrad-m

omgosh this, it seems like every job has something like this which really makes me doubt i can do any job ever so annoying~ it's like i read the duties and feeling oooh! i can do that! and then i see something like that and i'm like omg i cant do that ;___;

haha I have exactly the same! :bigsmile: