Social Anxiety and Clothing

flowers4626

Hi everybody :)
I'm new to the site...I'm a 21 year old college student and I am a theater major. Seems ironic that I'm interested in performing and I have a social phobia, but it's something I'm discussing in therapy. Very interesting.
Anyway, I find that I can't bring myself to audition for anything outside of school because I am perpetually uncomfortable in what I'm wearing, and it's taking a toll on my career. I feel comfortable with my audition material, etc., but if I can't figure out what shoes look good with my dress then I get very nervous and forget about the whole thing. Does anybody else go through this? The same thing happens to me with family parties, etc. Does anybody have a suggestion about how to deal with this?

Well it's a good thing your a theatre major, way to go! I can kind of relate to you in some ways. I am so convinced that everything looks so disgusting on me, I just put off buying it at all. This also makes it so I have hardly any clothes and that makes me anxious too! There's so many things I wish I could wear, but I just cannot do it because I'm too afraid of how people would judge me about. So instead od looking good, I choose to wear old ugly plain clothes, some that are way way big for me, instead of wearing what I want. I feel this actually makes it so much worse. I don't really have any help suggestions, but I know how much it sucks, and it would just help so stop thinking people are judging you so much!!

Zarrix

Has to be fairly plain, just a T-Shirt and appropiate shorts/jeans. I am so picky on shorts, They can't cut off above the knee rolls, they can't look too poor. With my T-Shirt, It can't reveal anything major about my personality, it has to be fairly plain. Only certain pairs of shoes, shorts and shirt combinations actually satisfy me. If I wear something I think makes a negative impression, I will be anxious most of the day/night.