so confusing!

Lorraine Manca

if anxiety is being sped up with lots of nervous energy, and depression is being slowed down with no energy, how can you have both of them at the same time?? im so confused

DanFC

Different neurological pathways producing different, but possibly co-morbid, symptoms. Anxiety is most often linked to actual limbic structures like the amygdala while depression is usually linked to levels of neurotransmitters like serotonin. Of course though, these are just physiological classifications we use to understand the disorders; there is much more mingling then what their definitions give.

I think they are basically opposite ends of a spectrum... I find myself wavering between them unable to find a happy "middle ground." I also think it's possible to be anxious about some things at the same time as being depressed about others... it's a hard call.

For me, I find that when my anxiety builds to unbearable levels, depression seems to be my body's response to alleviate it- if I stop trying/caring, then I can't be anxious. The problem is, allowing the depression to rule only makes the problems that are causing the anxiety worse. I'm not sure if tackling the depression will help with handling the anxiety, or vice versa- or perhaps I need to treat both. :confused:

Lorraine Manca

I think they are basically opposite ends of a spectrum... I find myself wavering between them unable to find a happy "middle ground." I also think it's possible to be anxious about some things at the same time as being depressed about others... it's a hard call.

For me, I find that when my anxiety builds to unbearable levels, depression seems to be my body's response to alleviate it- if I stop trying/caring, then I can't be anxious. The problem is, allowing the depression to rule only makes the problems that are causing the anxiety worse. I'm not sure if tackling the depression will help with handling the anxiety, or vice versa- or perhaps I need to treat both. :confused:

i feel like i do the same thing. its a dilemma, caring and being anxious vs not caring and being depressed. i guess you have to find a way to care without being anxious, easier said than done!

Ritta

I deal with both on a daily basis. Whenever I have to go to the store my anxiety level goes through the roof. It takes alot of energy to stay calm and not have a panic attack. Once I'm finally home, I'm so exhausted, I always end up taking a nap or just relax a bit on the couch. If I don't do something like house chores or work, I get into a really bad state of depression. Asking myself things like...
why do I have to deal with this every day?
why can't I be more normal?
Why is this happening to me?
why can't I just go to sleep and never wake up?

It's hard to control some of these negative thoughts. It's a never ending battle, but I'm still here and I'm still fighting. ::eek::

Tiercel

Whenever anxiety and depression aren't enough, I drink something caffeinated. Then I feel like doing something while not wanting to do anything. I play my guitar faster, but still think I suck. And best of all, my hands shake and my heart beats faster and harder.

Yippee!

:D

Lorraine Manca

Whenever anxiety and depression aren't enough, I drink something caffeinated. Then I feel like doing something while not wanting to do anything. I play my guitar faster, but still think I suck. And best of all, my hands shake and my heart beats faster and harder.

Yippee!

:D

thanks for the laugh, perfect!