Should I start therapy?

Ainsworth

Hello, I was thinking of going to see a psychiatrist for quite some time now. I'm a really socially awkward guy and I can't make friends, that's why I decided to try therapy.

So now I have a few questions, to know what I'm getting into.
What exactly should I expect from therapy and what do therapy sessions look like? And has it helped any of you?
Also do you have any advice for the first time I'm going there?
Thanks

IntheLabyrinth

Hello, maybe a psychologist would be better for you as it doesn't sound like you need any meds, and a psychiatrist would just put you on something. Expect the doc to start off with asking you why you are there, and ask you about yourself and your challenges. They will likely give you contradictory information that helps you refute the mistaken beliefs about yourself (maybe not in the first visit though), and help you build confidence. Just to clarify, I don't really know what your challenges are nor what speciality (humanistic, CBT, psychoanalysis, etc) the particular psychologist specializes in so the advice can only be very vague. I would just say don't have fear of the first visit because they are there to help you and not judge you, and if you don't like the help you are receiving , try a different doc. I went to four before I found one I liked. When I found one that I liked, I really felt like it helped me tremendously.

Ainsworth

Thanks for the reply. :)
Well, the first session will be with a psychiatrist, who will redirect me to someone else. He will be there to figure out whom I really need to talk to.
And I probably do need some meds, for depression at least.
I just have no idea what to say when I get there.

tempelton

I would agree with IntheLabyrinth - I too would not recommend a psychiatrist. I am sure lots of them are good people, but in my experience and knowledge (which extends to both), a psychologist / therapist is more what are you seeking I think.

Having someone to talk to in a structured and guided way about the issues that you are experiencing can only be a good thing. I have attended various therapists over the years for my social anxiety / low self esteem and depression and, despite the fact that I am not exactly 'better', I am undoubtedly VASTLY less bad than I used to be.

And I am pretty sure that therapy was instrumental in getting me to the relatively better place that I occupy now.

The thing you will want to find out is, what sort of therapy is best suited to you. Do you want to try something more talk-based, or do you want to try something that relies more / partially on particular methods / actions in order to achieve change (such as EMDR).

EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) is something I tried over the last year, for example. It did not cure my social anxiety (yet!), but it did make it far, far easier for me to stop constantly berating myself and attacking myself mentally, if you know what I mean. It's a technique - kind of like hypnosis, I guess - where you focus on a repetitive movement (in which the therapist moves a pen or something similar back and forth in front of your eyes), while you focus on the images / thoughts that you want to work on replacing. It's supposed to reset your brain or some such thing.

Anyway, I am no expert and I am not pushing EMDR on you, I promise! :)

I am just saying that there are loads of different types of therapy available. Do some googling on social anxiety and therapy and see what you can find. And when you do go to see a therapist, don't feel you have to stick with the same therapist if you don't think they're the right fit for you.

Shop around - it is your mind after all. :)

Seriously though - therapy can help. It can be hard work (emotionally and psychologically it can be exhausting), but in my experience it has always been worth the effort. There are no overnight cures - but gradual change is possible, if you want it...

Good luck!

Ainsworth

I does sound like psychologist would be better, so I will probably ask for one after the first visit. They just have a rule that the first visit is with a psychiatrist, don't know why. I just called there and made an appointment and I don't think I've ever been this anxious... What the hell am I going to say? Also I hope my family doesn't find out.

kc1296426

Go and get professional help. Doesnt matter who you see first, as long as your honest, and be knowledgable and research and let out your feelings and be open-minded and let them guide you, and put your trust and faith in yourself and them, things should go okay. If you're worried about them, check their reviews, trust your instincts, review what degrees they have and from where... etc.

Earthcircle

Going in for treatment was probably the worst decision I ever made. I regret it every day. I had roughly 14 years of psychotherapy with a lot of pharmacotherapy as well. These people simply do not know what they are doing, and you will be lucky if you aren't hurt by them. Psychiatrists misdiagnose and prescribe the wrong meds, psychotherapists have numerous techniques none of which produce any positive result. Now call me a troll and a liar, but I do feel an obligation to speak the truth. I'm not the one who makes money from people's suffering.

akala

Therapy is not the solution, neither are drugs... But if you can find free therapy anywhere you should try it to see what it's like. You have to motivate yourself to face your fears, therapy is supposed to be on the side for you to express yourself.

Your first session will feel like your getting undressed in front of a complete stranger,
I don't know how else to put it... Each session you go deeper and deeper into your problems... I didn't find any jewels to bring to the surface
but everyone has a different experience.
Before you go it helps to write a few things down that you want to speak about
very general; try listing 3 main topics, and then you can break them down from there
to the therapist... so they know what situation you're in.

lonelee1

therapy might be an okay option, i did it for eight years, off and on.

it was more or less talk therapy only. basically, if you're willing to really make changes, you can do a lot with the help of a psychologist. it's good because you can share a lot with them and its a safe place to talk about your life. you have to be open to hearing their advice though, and be willing to take action.

if you get a good one, you can expect to not feel judged when you talk about being shy.
you can expect a very nice environment to discuss your fears and talk about solutions.

a psychiatrist usually only prescribes medication. if you go to one first, you'll be asked to talk about your problems very briefly and he or she will prescribe a drug and send you on your way. i suggest you see a psychologist for a few sessions first, then you can decide if you'd even like to get on meds. you might not need them, which is a really great thing. :)

you can start but its not a proper treatment my dear for Anxiety because Anxiety is not a body weakness or any thins else but its a main cause to make your self dell and rout you just need to make yourself calm active and fresh.