Should I find out if I have OCD

E

ELM

Hi,
I've thought for a long time that I might have OCD. A few hours of my day is always spend on random thoughts and urges, like I usually spend an hour or so before I go to sleep picturing stuff like people I love dying or my house going on fire. I also get weird urges like cutting myself or driving my car into a wall. I never do any of that but I get really strong urges to all the time. There's also smaller things like having to have the volume on the TV in multiples of 5, or having to fold paper exactly in half. I've done quizes on the internet that say I probably do have OCD, but should I actually bother going to a doctor about it? My mother doesn't take me seriously if I mention it to her .. and sometimes I wonder if it would be worth finding out for definate just so I ccan say that I'm not crazy.

krfoss

Well, you might be going crazy, or you may have OCD. Tough to say. It never hurts to ask a doctor what they think. At the very worst, they say you dont have anything. At best, they have an answer for you that involves a treatable issue. Just make sure you speak with a doctor who has training in mental disorders. A psychiatrist should be ok (said hesitantly...). Ask if they know anything about OCD, or if they know anyone they could refer you to.

Good luck.

Ive done the same thing, picturing people I love dying and how I would feel Id end up crying too, but its like Im indulging in sad thoughts..I haven't done that as of recently, because I realized its not healthy to be thinking about those sort of things. I think of other things instead before I go to sleep..sometimes focusing on a thought or imagining something can help you fall asleep. The other behaviors you mentioned..I can relate to the one, when I was little I would get strong urges to jump out of a moving car..have no clue why!
They say songs repeating over and over in your head "getting stuck" is an OCD a lot of people have..I have had that. Well about 6yrs ago I had full blown OCD..but not the acting out..just the thoughts and then the avoidance, I would repeat The Lords prayer to get rid of the unwanted thoughts.
I've seemed to have conquered that..but now have other problems. Anyway go to a psycologist and nip it in the bud before it gets worse...I think you have the symptoms.