Shortness of breath while talking

Silentknight

So I'm finding myself running out of air whenever I try to talk to someone in more than just a casual "hello" "goodbye" way. It's so strange I mean this has been happening to me for years but recently it's been getting worse and a lot more noticeable and it only seems to happen when I'm nervous to say or ask something. It always feels like someone took my breath away before I'm able to finish whatever I'm trying to say. I don't think I have asthma and I'm not unhealthy in any way other than mentally ::p: so I wonder has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? what could be the reason for it happening? an increase in anxiety perhaps? :confused:

Kiwong

It could be hyperventilating, which is common with stress anxiety and panic.

Try to learn to control your breathing, deep breaths right from the diaphram, three seconds in and three seconds, let your muscles relax as you do this.

an increase in anxiety perhaps?
Perhaps, or .. for sure.

I have this also, for many years now. Mainly its just slightly annoying (as i have to "catch my breath" or "catch-up" with breathing/O2). But also is telling me i have failed, feelings-wise, with the interaction.
I usually either hold my breath (=breath-control), or take a sharp intake of air.
My primary goal in such an instance, is getting more/adequate O2 into my body, so that the lack of O2 goes away quick-smart (as is physically not that comfortable).
But i know of at least one other "normal" person who also suffers from this (which as it happens i cause them, due to my own nerves/anxiety! he he)

Silatuyok

Ahhh, I do this whenever I have to say more than a few words to someone. My throat also constricts in the middle of sentences and I have to stop and swallow and it feels like my eyes are watering. I've learned to just go slow, take breaks in the middle of my sentences if I need to, and try to incorporate pauses into what I'm saying. Pauses are a natural part of speaking, but I tend to get nervous and try to say everything in one shot, lol. I think it is definitely a result of speech-induced anxiety!

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
This happens to me as well, I think it what everyone else has said sounds like a likely cause of this.

Also, lack of talking can get you out of shape, and like running you lose your breath more easily when you don't do it as frequently. If you're not used to talking or it seems awkward (by "it I mean the act of talking, not the situation), losing your breath happens more readily. This could easily be attributed to the anxiety as well.

Something good to try is to read out loud to yourself (or others if you're so inclined) to get more comfortable with it if this is the case. I speak very rarely and am not comfortable using my voice and this does help me a little.