Shared Accomodation

introvert

Lately I've been considering giving up the comfort of renting my own apartment (I have been living alone for over a year now). I would be saving a lot of money I'm otherwise wasting, but on the other hand I hate the idea of living with others. Also I'm 21, and I feel I'm just missing out on a lot just by taking the lone road. What are your experiences with this? Is it better living with others, or forking out the money (that could be better used elsewhere, e.g. CBT etc.) or to live in comfortable solitude (and loneliness)? I'm also worried that if I do move in with others, then there is no way I will be able to do CBT at home, without them hearing. On the other hand, I've just been procrastinating for years about taking CBT, and doing something about my sp.

lostboi

I think it all just depends on how comfortable YOU are with the situation. I much prefer to live alone personally. I like my space and the ability to control who enters and exits. But again it just depends on your comfort level. I would definately recommend moving in with somone your familiar with and who knows your habbits and maybe already knows about your sp. if at all possible. Trying to hide it might just increase your anxiety..and there's no reason.

I'v lived with other people and I guess there are somethings you can learn but for the most part I kept to my self anyway so it didn't make much difference. So weigh weather the ruduced rent is worth the it to you. If your comfortable go for it. If not..yeah you may save money but your quality of life may diminish.
Anyway..just my thoughts on the subject.

beetle

I've lived in shared accommodation for 3 years, counting the rest of this university year. Halls of residence in the 1st and 3rd, and a house with 3 other people I didn' t know beforehand in the 2nd year.

I have hated everything about living with these other people, and I really cannot WAIT until I can get my own flat/house/whatever. I guess everyone I've lived with is ok, I just would much much much much much prefer to live alone. Though I've never actually lived alone yet, so I can't be sure I won't get lonely. But I really think it will be much better than this. I hate this.

That's just me though.

J

For me, living alone was a wonderful, liberating thing. I can't wait until I can do it again someday.

Lostboi: Great sig! I like that Smiths record. Lots for us folks to relate to on it. :D

blight

I remember facing the same choice when I was that age (i'm 26 now) and i think at that time it was probably a good idea to live with other people even though i pretty much hated the idea of it as well. even though it was uncomfortable lots of times and somewhat not fun, i also learned a lot and it was definitely a growing experience. i lived with people until i was about 25 and i don't regret it looking back. now i live alone though and you definitely got the trade off right; it does easily get lonely and for people like us it can be all too easy to remove ourselves too much from interactions (in my opinion).

Richey

I personally want to live alone for now, as ive lived with people before and after house sitting on my own for a week i realised that peace and living on my own terms was far more appealing, and that doesnt mean i want to be isolated from people, its just that ive seen my parents live together and ive watched them go through hell to compromise each others interests, hobbies, tastes, to fit into the mould of being a team.

I would rather have my own ranch where i can go to to escape society for a few hours unless its a friend i know realllllyyyyy well, which right now isnt the case, i have mostly acquantances and my close friend is travellling.

ive been reading a few forums of people who talk about shared renting and renting alone, what ive noticed is that people seem to want what they dont have.

Renting with other people can lead to feuds and arguments, you dont feel as free when you share rent with others, depending on how well they know you and if your personalities clash, which is possible even with family, as ive found out :lol:
however it can lead to opportunites that are social, especially if room mates are into organising gatherings etc, you can learn from others and you do have a person to talk to if your up to it.

Living alone would be ideal for the person who wants to live by their rules without any outside pressure, you can stay up as late as you like, you can have your own space away from people especially if you work with loads of people, the best way to handle it would be to keep active by seeing films, go for walks, try not to fall into the trap of isolating yourself too much, but i can see the appeal of living alone unless you have a partner or a good friend(s) to share with.

charlieHungerford

introvert said:
Lately I've been considering giving up the comfort of renting my own apartment (I have been living alone for over a year now). I would be saving a lot of money I'm otherwise wasting, but on the other hand I hate the idea of living with others. Also I'm 21, and I feel I'm just missing out on a lot just by taking the lone road. What are your experiences with this? Is it better living with others, or forking out the money (that could be better used elsewhere, e.g. CBT etc.) or to live in comfortable solitude (and loneliness)? I'm also worried that if I do move in with others, then there is no way I will be able to do CBT at home, without them hearing. On the other hand, I've just been procrastinating for years about taking CBT, and doing something about my sp.

It depends who you share a house with.

I lived with friends for 2 years at university and it was just amazing, social life was incredible and I was so happy. After I graduated and living with parents I thought I should try get back this exciting lifestyle again so moved into a shared house - I knew one of the people but not that well and the other 3 I didn't know. Oh my god I hated it. I hated the people, I hated being around them, I hated not having my own space, it was a nightmare.

Luckily my parents let me move back! And now I have my own house and I love it. But yeah it gets a bit lonely and isolated lifestyle by yourself, but I am very happy to have my own place.

So my advice is that if you are able to move with some friends who you like, well it would be amazing, but moving in with strangers could be a nightmare!