Shaking hands

Shenmue

Hi everyone. As the title suggests, my hands always shake when im nervous. I can understand it's our nervous system way of reacting to a fight or flight response, but i'm tired of having no control over my shaking. I was wondering if anyone else has found a way of overcoming the same problem.

Hi everyone. As the title suggests, my hands always shake when im nervous. I can understand it's our nervous system way of reacting to a fight or flight response, but i'm tired of having no control over my shaking. I was wondering if anyone else has found a way of overcoming the same problem.

Hi Shenmue, I only got relief from this once I started using a beta blocker. I spot this quite a lot with other people, but its usually barely noticible, I think it feels worse than it appears to others.

pirl

I have an issue when signing my name in public in that I tense up and my neck feels like it's shaking.. that also tends to cause my hand to start shaking.

I was doing quite a bit of travelling with work earlier in the year and if booking into a hotel with a group of people, I'd literally start panicking to the extent that I started making calls on my phone when we'd arrive at the hotel reception in order to let everyone else check in and get sorted out before I'd do so.

Same happens when I have to sign something in a bank for instance.

Funny thing is that sometimes I get a burst of confidence and it's no problem signing. Tried lately slowing my signing right down and it seems to work to some extent.

lisalove22

Have you tried any natural supplements? Like vitamin B or valarian root? These supplements may work for some people and are not very expensive. You should give it a shot. It has some calming effects and may help you a little.

Also note that this is fairly common social phobia and some therapy such as CBT would be useful in overcoming it. You would most likely find that it only happens when other people are around and that the shaking doesn't happen when you're alone. The key thing is that we fear what other people will think if they see us shaking.

"Some people fear drinking in public as they are concerned that their hand will shake, other people will notice and evaluate them negatively.........Some people fear writing in public as they are concerned that their hand will shake as they write and people will evaluate them negatively."

Common Fears/Phobias - Dating; Public Eating; Authority; Stage Fright; Public Speaking; Exams - Shyness & Social Anxiety Treatment Australia