Severing Unhealthy Relationships

Earthbound_Misfit

I recently broke up (?) with my best friend. I love her to death but I do most of the giving and she does most of the taking. I know I did the right thing but i still pick up the phone to call her, then i remember the fight/argument and get all depressed about it. She was my main support person for a long time and now I'm at a loss for the next right action to take and I won't/can't call her. I'm not one to make friends and I don't want to replace her. I don't even think I could. I think the feeling of loss is typical to situations like this. Hell.. everything I'm feeling is probably typical but I've never felt like this and I HATE it. I don't allow myself to get in situations that require my vulnerability...specifically so this doesn't happen. So... what is my next right action? I hate not knowing what to do.

Feathers

Hey.

Sorry to hear about the situation. Sounds a bit like something I've encountered too.
Try to find other sources of support - online and ideally in RL too...
It's good to have several people or a 'support team' (ideally) so that one person doesn't get too 'overburdened'... and if one is busy/not knowing what to say/do etc. you still have support from others...

I don't know about your situation. Is there a day center or something like that near you? Can you get help from a psychologist etc?
It's great to get help/support from friends, sometimes people who have been trained to help may be of better help though... If you only had one friend, that person can get overwhelmed too, by own problems and/or by not knowing how to help... And then fights over seemingly 'stupid'/irrelevant things can emerge sometimes... Or things can be taken as worse than if both had other sources of energy and support... (Not saying this was what happened in your situation, just that it CAN happen... I've seen it happen elsewhere..)

Some people do 'reconcile' later... Or manage to work through things... so it depends what happened and how you and she will go about this...

Meanwhile, look into getting to know new people.. You can't establish that degree of friendship right away, it takes time.. You must find if a person is trustworthy etc. And this builds gradually...
It's not about 'replacing' anyone, it's about getting additional support...

Relatives, acquaintances you could get together with or get to know better...? Even older people or neighbours could sometimes shed light on situation/s, it doesn't have to be someone the same age or gender as your friend...

Like a plant, if one/main root is severed, the plant needs to grow new roots, right?

Also try looking into new interests, new things, maybe join a course or club where you can meet new people or learn interesting new things...?

Take care, hope things get better... (They do!)