Severe Agoraphobic

Mudvayne

Yeah, not my style either, but when someone has a point...well they have a point lol...yeah humour is the best medicane, that and valium:p lol

joshueg

Hello Tom. I can understand how you are feeling. I just want to tell you that even if you think you are totally alone, you are not. I will do my best to help you feel better.

P.D. I cannot tell you more, because it is my first day here and don't know too much about your problem. :)

ignisfatuus

Hellraising said:
I am housebound, and I hate it when others say they're housebound when they're not.

Thread crapping like this deserves a kick in the teeth, especially when you spam this in every thread possible (and on other forums too), like you are the only person suffering. It may seem harsh to single you out, but this needs to be said.

chicagoanxiety

Hellraising said:
Hi, I'd just like to say that you are not housebound. Housebounds means that you do not leave the house at all. There is no such thing as being "pretty much housebound". You either are, or you're not. I just wanted to make that clear.

The definition of housebound is: one who is "confined" to the house.

The definition of "confined" is: to keep within "limits" or "borders".

Thus...if Mudvayne is leaving his home only when absolutely necessary or for brief moments with great difficulty...he is "housebound".

Thus the term he used is correct.

When people on house arrest are allowed outdoors for brief periods, they are still confined to their homes and legally "housebound".

NOTE: Agoraphobia has different degrees of severity for different people. Some agoraphobics work and/or attend school, but with much difficulty. Some agoraphobics can leave home if accompanied by a "safe person" or loved one. Others can not leave home at all, or only for brief periods. The latter two are often considered housebound because of the limitations involved.

chicagoanxiety

Hellraising said:
Hi, I'd just like to say that you are not housebound. Housebounds means that you do not leave the house at all. There is no such thing as being "pretty much housebound". You either are, or you're not. I just wanted to make that clear...I am housebound, and I hate it when others say they're housebound when they're not.

Hi Hellraising, if you were evicted or lost your home tomorrow, and were forced outdoors. Would that mean you were no longer "housebound"?

It sounds like you are very fortunate, and have a support network or service, that allows you to remain indoors 24/7. However, many agoraphobics are not as fortunate.

Thus, they may leave their homes with great difficulty for clinic appointments, shopping, or other brief errands, but they are still housebound.

Since you are someone who suffers from agoraphobia, I'm very surprised at your irritation and compassion concerning the above.

chicagoanxiety

You could be describing me there. I have agoraphobia although I am trying really hard to beat it. It is only recently that I have been able to venture out short distances from my safe area. My home has been my refuge for seven years and you are right when you talk of having no choice but to leave for appointments and the like. I have missed many a hospital appointment because I was afraid to leave the house. And...by hellraisings defention ...I was not housebound..which was not true in the least. I was fortunate in some respects that I had my children but it was not right that my children became my carers. Thre is no black and white with regards to being housebound...as has been pointed out and its bad enough having the outside world thinking that you are being lazy, without someone who you would expect to have some understanding...thinking that you re trying to gain some sort of sympathy by saying that you are something that you are not.

Hi Yetisbabe, you're not alone, and there are many who understand how you feel. Congratulations on the improvement and steps you've taken so far. Tiny steps eventually equal a huge leap with patience and time. :)

Unless someone lives with parents, relatives, or a spouse that handles all outside activities, it's not realistic to expect some agoraphobics to never leave home. Many agoraphobics are estranged from family and friends, so they have no support network. If social security felt being able to leave your home for clinic appointments ect meant you were not housebound, thousands of people would have no form of financial assistance.

I chatted with a woman on another message board, who had been agoraphobic for 10 years and she had no family or friends to help her. She had complained for weeks about abdominal pain on the board, but was afraid to leave her home and take a taxi ride to the doctor's office. Eventually she made it to the hospital, only to discover she had cancer. After that diagnosis, she had no choice but to leave her home once a week in the beginning for medical treatment if she wanted to live. Sometimes going out just can't be avoided...even with "housebound" agoraphobics. However, continual activities outside the home when one is not ready, would only worsen existing problems.

I also commend you for not wanting to be a burden on your children. I think those of us with emotional issues, should try to help those who help us. Sometimes we must at least "try" to step outside of our comfort zones, to make things easier on our loved one's.

Boundless

I know how it feels to spend so much time in a house,as i my self suffer from agoraphobia and very rarely go out(unless my dad picks me up or my support worker)i spend all day in this 1 room mostly alone but theres a person i talk to alot and get on great with and im glad i met her but i still feel very lonely >.<
Trying to beat something like this with constantly no energy or motivation due to bad depression is very hard and it seems as if im making no progress at all,there is 1 last thing they want me to try,if that fails i dont know what to do :|

Hell i think you need to chill out,pretty much house bound is easy enough to understand,its not a you are or your not thing theres a between point like there is with everything.

Hi all
this is my first post as I`ve only discovered this site.
Mudvayne, I used to be a bmx`er (but i wasnt any good at it)
But, same as you used be, to I`m currently the lead singer/guitarist in a band. (I get a lift to and from rehearsals in the bass players car)

We haven`t played any gigs as a full band lineup yet, just rehearsed however a while I did and acoustic set at an open mic
night and thought I was gonna die with nerves.
Anyway our bands recorded some demo`s and the people who`ve heard it are apparently impressed but the thought of
regularly playing onstage(in front of crowds of strangers) scares me

I don’t know what to do as I do love playing in the band and music is definitely what I`m best at

Also, like someothers here I have very few friends(and playing in the band gets me outta the house)..
I think the lack of friends is possibly cos they think I`m boring but also cos whenever I
do go out socially (very rarely) in order to relax and be able to talk to people I end up getting really drunk and acting like an
idiot and sometimes get into fights etc…

then when I wake up the next morning I cant remember what I`ve done and so I get even more anxious and less willing to leave the house and really paranoid (although if its true then I guess I`m not being paranoid) that everyone thinks I`m a loser and a trouble maker and that they hate me

finally Cassie
Hold me now I need to feel relief
Like I never wanted anything
I suppose I'll let this go and find a reason I'll hold on to
I'm so ashamed of defeat
And I'm out of reason to believe in me
I'm out of trying to get by

Are these already famous song lyric`s, just wondering cos they`re fantastic and I`d love to sing them without getting sued though

Cheers everyone, take care.

Do I need to introduce myself before anyone will reply or something?
Also I`d like to say that despite my previous post I consider to be a nice, kind, caring guy. I know I said I turn into an ****** when I`m drunk but the only reason I drink is to be able to face any social situations (even the rehearsals with my band)

I`ve been a guest here for a few days, reading through posts and people here seem very supportive of one another which is really cool

Thats why I decided to register, to chat with people that I have something I have something in common with, rather than the usual shallow bull****
one gets elsewhere

So maybe this is my paranoid nature getting the better of me but why do I feel like no one wants to post any replies?

Thanks again if you read this far

Hey Worrydoll thanks for replying

I sound intimidating ? I hope not. I guess being in a band is quite cool but like I said I was a hopeless bmx`er (maybe its all the time`s I fell off and smacked my head that`s responsible for my condition lol)

Sometime`s I wonder if other people actually do see me as being cool as some people have kind of suggested that they do.. but when I look in the mirror, I still see the nerd who got bullied silly.

I think that the happiest most secure people are the ones who are comfortable with themselves and dont need others approval (but maybe they`re like that because they`ve always had others approval)

Maybe I shouldn`t be so vein.
I`ve actually managed to stop drinking now for a week (my anxiety was getting so bad that I was needing a drink for my nerves even when I was at home) hopefully I`ll stick with that.

Thanks again hopefully see you around more on this forum as its a good one and I hope to post more and read more

Shattered

You are not alone! (Nice name by the way).
I hear ya totally.
I'm pretty much housebound. I drive hubby up to the gas station here so he can get cokes.. smokes.. alcohol.. but I rarely get out. I only go to doctor appts and it IS the same thing everytime. Only my past dictates my future. The docs get perks and that's the meds they will prescribe, even if I've been on them before. Or they think just because I am/was an addict means I will abuse anything within my reach, even though I've proven otherwise. Even though to prove it further, I don't handle my own meds, have my grandmother that hubby and I live with handle them.

I did find being on Paxil made my anxiety tons worse, woke up shaking, went to bed shaking. I've felt better since I got off of it. I just don't think SSRI's are the way to go for me since I've pretty much been on all of them. Sometimes I really think I make better progress on my own. Every time I go to the doc it's bad, and I have a severe attack. I just hope next time I get the pleasure of vomiting on their floor. Which I've done on many occasion, or fainting... dissociating where looking through my own eyes seems miles away.

I have had social anxiety as long as I can remember, it worsened at the very beginning of 2004 into agoraphobia. Even now as I type this I notice my leg is kicking at a thousand miles per hour and my teeth are clenched tight. I'm starting to shake and have to take a breath. I have to clench my teeth harder to hold back a tear. That's PTSD for ya. The drinking and using.. all to cover up agoraphobia in the first place. I hate it when docs belittle my problem like my agoraphobia didn't exist until after I drank and used. It's total bull. Like I said, better progress on my own.

Hey, anyway, if you need to talk, message me anytime.

-Shattered

I too suffered for many years being totally house bound too scared to go out or even open my curtains"! i wouldnt answer my front door!
I tried cognative therapy etc...
Im glad to say im no longer like this.. although i still have IFFY days but im able to hold down a full time job!
Like panic attacks its retraining your brain to NOT feel threatened by whats outside.
I forced myself to walk out to my gate, then further etc.. each time crippled with panic and fear.. I thought my life was over,i thought I would always live this way.
DONT give in to negative thoughts,push yourself however scared you are.
Get a walk buddy to take the steps with you, if you feel scared by outside or people sit, focus on something or even say the alphabet backwards used to help me.
I know were all different and i all i can do is share my tips.
Take care
x