Self pity annoys me

fitftw

read my signature.

Self-pity can't always be helped. It's a symptom of depression. I used to be really bad with it, but I'm 26 now and just don't feel that way anymore. I'm sort of Buddhist these days.

I do agree self-pity is not going to help anyone's situation, but sometimes it is necessary and people get over it eventually.

Horatio

I hear you. An unfortunate byproduct of depression and anxiety is that sometimes people become so focused on their own struggles that they fail to see the struggles of others. People who focus purely on their own wants and needs come across as selfish, even if they don't intend to be.

Personally, I hate to be a burden on my friends. So when my depression and anxiety started coming back I'd just not hang with them when I was really down cause I didn't want to come across as selfish. Problem is though, it of course led to even more isolation which made it worse.

Danfalc

Banned
Everyone has different pain/stress thresholds and coping mechanisms. And kind of like fitftw said, I think some people need to hit rock bottom and go through a period of self pity sometimes before they get sick of it and decide to do something about it.

Some people In life do seem to dwell In it more than is necessary, but I think that's just part and parcel of having a mental health disorder. It annoys me too sometimes when people almost seem to enjoy it? but I try and remember I probably was quite self destructive when I was first ill and it took me time to snap out of it.