Self medication

Rise Against

I read that only 30% of people do drugs/alcohol to get "high". The other 70% use drugs to escape depression, stress, and reality. I feel that we (SAD) are especially at high risk for drug abuse.

I've never used any illegal drugs (ive never even smoked a cigarette or have been drunk), but i have self medicated my depression with high doses of adderall (prescription amphetamine/speed) in the past.

BTW: Im not creating this thread to talk about drug experiences... What is your opinion on self medication; do you think that people with SAD are at high risk for drug and alcohol abuse?

Last edited:

hippiechild

It definitely can. Once you realize how great it is to be fluid and uninhibited, it's easy to continue. Why not? Why feel like shit when it's so easy not to? I got to the point where I hadn't been sober around my cousins in almost two years. If I knew that I'd have to see someone, I made sure that I was a staggering, stumbling mess before I even saw them.

Self medication is pretty common in people with mental abnormalities. My uncle, who had schizophrenia, used all kinds of drugs in an attempt to find peace.

I think that self medication can be a potentially good thing as long as you know about the chemicals that are involved and are wary of dependence.

SilentType

Banned
Yeah people like us are definitely at risk for using drugs. After panic disorder tore up my life, I looked to drugs to escape the hell I was living in. My drug of choice when I was at my worst was the opiate family of chemicals. The guilt of being sky high around my family is the main thing that caused me to stop. I pretty much stick to my doctor prescribed Xanax nowadays, other than the occasional marijuana use.

I don't think self medication is a good route to getting over mental problems though. It might help to escape reality for a short while, but as addiction and dependence sets in, you're only creating more problems for yourself.

Peace

Rise Against

I don't think self medication is a good route to getting over mental problems though. It might help to escape reality for a short while, but as addiction and dependence sets in, you're only creating more problems for yourself.

I agree with you, therapy, anti-depressants, and counseling would be a much better route than self medicating. With adderall, i felt good for about 10 hours and then the crash was hell, depression times 10. I've stopped taking adderall altogether on a regular basis... The tolerance and psychological addiction caused from my prescribed dose made my depressed and SAD much worst. Now i only take adderall xr if i have to write an essay or something for school.

Last edited:

Rise Against

Self medication is pretty common in people with mental abnormalities. My uncle, who had schizophrenia, used all kinds of drugs in an attempt to find peace.

Yeah definitely think this is true. Even with ADD - people with ADD are 3 times more likely to have drug abuse problems (generally alcohol) than people without ADD.

"Whatever the explanation, trouble usually starts in adolescence; until age 15, ADDers are generally no more likely than non-ADDers to experiment with drugs. From this age on, rates of abuse and dependency skyrocket. Half of all adults with untreated ADHD will develop a substance use disorder at some point in their lives." - ADD / ADHD Treatment Advice: Substance Abuse and Addiction Among ADD Adults | ADDitude - ADD & LD Adults and Children

ADD and substance abuse (mainly alcohol) runs on both sides of my family, i wonder if the two are linked.

Last edited:

SammyT

Yeah, I am a prime example of someone who was and has been drawn towards self medicating from a really young age like 12-13.

Sadly it just made things worse as it usually does, and it took me until about age 19 to start realising the underlying reason I was so into drugs. I still am attracted to them as its kinda built up within me but I am alot more responsible and my willpower has increased since I started to appreciate some sobriety. Thankfully i've found medication to help me stay away from alcohol for the majority of the time, I only really drink socially now - and even then I don't fully feel the need to like I used to. This has only changed recently.

My family is similar to me even though they arent currently classed as social phobic and depressed. Everyone has their crutch whether it be OTC codeine or alcohol.

Last edited:

Rise Against

I hate to admit it but i still "up" my adderall dose on special occasions... I will next friday because i have to give a 10 minute speech in front of my English class. It's the only way i am able to stay calm and remember the lines of my speech, without having a panic attack. I really hate having to rely on a chemical just to function normally in extreme social situations, but my Lexapro doesn't help quite enough with exceedingly high stress situations.