Self Esteem Issues - What do you do?

Folly TB

Hey guys,
I've started realizing a lot of my OCD issues are a result of my low self esteem and that I'm just a very insecure person... I used to be pretty confident, but the last 5 years or so have gotten really bad. I really don't know what's happened.

So I was wondering what's everyone’s methods of dealing with low self esteem? or if anyone's got any advice or ideas on how to boost self confidence.

Thanks loads! =D

CZi

Hmmm, I can give some tips as I have similar problems, so maybe they'll help ya too!

As cliche as it may sound, you can start trying "fake it till ya make it." IE: Tell yourself those insecurities aren't true, counter them with positive attributes, tell yourself you're awesome etc. even if you don't fully believe it just yet. After awhile it becomes easier and easier to believe so you don't spend time dwelling on the insecurities.

Another thing I found that works with the above is to do some kinda "Thought Wipe." When you're stuck in a bad thought(s) you can try something like this: Take those thoughts, mentally envision them being bottled\swept\thrown\wiped or whatever action you fancy, by a character\object\person you hold dear. Example: For me Snoopy comes along, and does that goofy Peanuts dance from the center of my mind where the thoughts are to Stage Left, pushing the thoughts away in the process. In real time it probably takes less then 3 seconds. It kinda takes practice and imagination but I found those help me. >_>

_Hope

I found using some CBT techniques to categorise the way I'm thinking and what thinking errors I am making in producing those negative feelings which really did help and often had a quick positive effect of my attitude and mood.

There are lots of information out there about CBT, I found CBT for dummies to be very helpful and I have severe self worth issues and insecurities. Maybe consider looking it up and see if you think it would be of any help to you.

I got mine off of ebay for a few quid so its not to expensive.

WeirdyMcGee

I have therapy every other week. Self esteem is one of the issues I deal with and I've been trying to improve my self image since I was 12 and realized that I hated myself.
It's not easy.

CBT can help- especially if you feel that it is an OCD habit.
Nothing I've tried has really helped yet, so I don't even know if other techniques are worth mentioning. haha
Sorry- I'm not very helpful.

There are self-esteem workshops you can take
Seeing a therapist to talk about what your specific problems are may help
Sometimes medication may help
Getting a makeover may help
Taking some lovely photos of yourself may help
Volunteering to help the less fortunate may help
Removing any negative influences may also help
Working out and becoming fit may also help
You may just have to try many many things until you can find something that helps.

Folly TB

Hmmm, I can give some tips as I have similar problems, so maybe they'll help ya too!

As cliche as it may sound, you can start trying "fake it till ya make it." IE: Tell yourself those insecurities aren't true, counter them with positive attributes, tell yourself you're awesome etc. even if you don't fully believe it just yet. After awhile it becomes easier and easier to believe so you don't spend time dwelling on the insecurities.

Another thing I found that works with the above is to do some kinda "Thought Wipe." When you're stuck in a bad thought(s) you can try something like this: Take those thoughts, mentally envision them being bottled\swept\thrown\wiped or whatever action you fancy, by a character\object\person you hold dear. Example: For me Snoopy comes along, and does that goofy Peanuts dance from the center of my mind where the thoughts are to Stage Left, pushing the thoughts away in the process. In real time it probably takes less then 3 seconds. It kinda takes practice and imagination but I found those help me. >_>

Hey there CZi,

I love your Snoopy method lol

I think those are really great ideas, and I'm definitely going to give them a go. I'm such a negative person with it all I'm always putting my self down and thinking I'm not smart enough or pretty enough or good enough and it just goes on an on and I need to get my self out of this mindset.

I'm just afraid I won't be able to tell my self possitive things and be able to actually believe them, but I guess with time it will change my thinking (hopefully) and I won't automatically jump to the beliefs that I'm not good enough. So I'll definitely give it a try and let you know how it goes!

Thanks a lot! =D

Folly TB

I found using some CBT techniques to categorise the way I'm thinking and what thinking errors I am making in producing those negative feelings which really did help and often had a quick positive effect of my attitude and mood.

There are lots of information out there about CBT, I found CBT for dummies to be very helpful and I have severe self worth issues and insecurities. Maybe consider looking it up and see if you think it would be of any help to you.

I got mine off of ebay for a few quid so its not to expensive.

Thanks so much for bringing this up. I had never heard of CBT before but it sounds really interesting and helpful.

Next time I'm out I'm gonna look for the book. =D

Do you feel like after learning the techniques and everything it's helped you significantly with getting rid of and dealing with your insecurities?

Thanks so much! =)

CZi

No problem, anytime! I'd second the rec on CBT and what WeirdyMcGee said. In fact, the techniques I explained are mostly CBT/DBT. :D

Folly TB

I have therapy every other week. Self esteem is one of the issues I deal with and I've been trying to improve my self image since I was 12 and realized that I hated myself.
It's not easy.

CBT can help- especially if you feel that it is an OCD habit.
Nothing I've tried has really helped yet, so I don't even know if other techniques are worth mentioning. haha
Sorry- I'm not very helpful.

There are self-esteem workshops you can take
Seeing a therapist to talk about what your specific problems are may help
Sometimes medication may help
Getting a makeover may help
Taking some lovely photos of yourself may help
Volunteering to help the less fortunate may help
Removing any negative influences may also help
Working out and becoming fit may also help
You may just have to try many many things until you can find something that helps.

You're helping me out by simply just talking to me about it and you gave some really great suggestions on things I could try. So honestly Thanks a lot!

I'm really sorry things haven't been working out all that well for you though.

Last edited:

Folly TB

No problem, anytime! I'd second the rec on CBT and what WeirdyMcGee said. In fact, the techniques I explained are mostly CBT/DBT. :D

Awesome. That's really encouraging that you've all mentioned CBT techniques so I'll definitely be looking more into that!

Thanks a lot guys it really means a lot! =D

_Hope

Thanks so much for bringing this up. I had never heard of CBT before but it sounds really interesting and helpful.

Next time I'm out I'm gonna look for the book. =D

Do you feel like after learning the techniques and everything it's helped you significantly with getting rid of and dealing with your insecurities?

Thanks so much! =)

You're welcome. :)

And yeah when I first gave CBT self help a shot the information I read and the techniques it suggested kinda blew my mind. They're simple to understand and really did work for me... Whenever I felt a negative feeling or thought such as "I'm not good enough, I can't do that I'm to stupid, I bet that person thinks I'm really ugly and dumb etc" I referred to the book found my thinking error and used the technique suggested to change the way certain things triggered in my mind if that makes sense?

Its good that you're willing to give so much a try and I'm sure you will find something which helps you whether it be CBT, the other things mentioned or something you stumble across. There is a lot of help and information out there and you're not alone and you are smart enough, you are good enough and you are pretty enough.

Folly TB

You're welcome. :)

And yeah when I first gave CBT self help a shot the information I read and the techniques it suggested kinda blew my mind. They're simple to understand and really did work for me... Whenever I felt a negative feeling or thought such as "I'm not good enough, I can't do that I'm to stupid, I bet that person thinks I'm really ugly and dumb etc" I referred to the book found my thinking error and used the technique suggested to change the way certain things triggered in my mind if that makes sense?

Its good that you're willing to give so much a try and I'm sure you will find something which helps you whether it be CBT, the other things mentioned or something you stumble across. There is a lot of help and information out there and you're not alone and you are smart enough, you are good enough and you are pretty enough.

That makes perfect sense, and I really can't wait to get started. I'm glad they'res something out there that actually looks at where your thinking goes wrong and focuses on how to change that thinking instead of just saying, "Well just don't think like that" which...is what I've been trying to do I guess, but it really doesn't work that well lol. So I'm really looking forward to giving this a chance.

Last edited: