Self-consciousness over trivial situations

Rembrandt Broam

I get this way far too often. What I really dislike is how much I do it over stupid trivial things.

For example, today was quite a warm day but a little breezy so when I left the house I put on a jacket. When I got to where I was going, as I was walking around, I noticed that most other people weren't jackets but just had teeshirts or shirts on and this made me start to feel really self-conscious about the fact that I was. Stupid, yeah? So then I am looking around, trying to find anyone else with a jacket on, because if I can't then everyone must be looking at me and thinking how much I stand out, and how much of an idiot I look. Eventually I had to focus hard on something else to get the thought out of my head, because once this kind of a thought takes hold with me it's very difficult to shake it.

GloomySunday

It's all about the way you perceive a situation.

Try to think of it as, "I got it right, and they've all got it wrong!"

For example, I dress very retro. Very 1950's. Walking around town I see guys in tracksuit bottoms, baseball caps on (the wrong way round, of course) and trainers. I don't feel self conscious about it. I think they look dreadful and there's no way on Earth I would want to be like them.

Just do your own thing, man. Your life is your movie.

Yes, I can totally relate to what you are describing. I have that problem too.
I think it can come from a past of having every little thing about you picked on or judged. Therefore you just try so hard to "fit in" with eveyone else around you.

Phoenixx

I get this way far too often. What I really dislike is how much I do it over stupid trivial things.

For example, today was quite a warm day but a little breezy so when I left the house I put on a jacket. When I got to where I was going, as I was walking around, I noticed that most other people weren't jackets but just had teeshirts or shirts on and this made me start to feel really self-conscious about the fact that I was. Stupid, yeah? So then I am looking around, trying to find anyone else with a jacket on, because if I can't then everyone must be looking at me and thinking how much I stand out, and how much of an idiot I look. Eventually I had to focus hard on something else to get the thought out of my head, because once this kind of a thought takes hold with me it's very difficult to shake it.
Yeah I can definitely relate to this so much. Like, where I live people have a... weird sense of the weather. The other day it was about 50 degrees or so. I went to the store wearing jeans, sneakers, long-sleeve shirt, and a hoodie. I get inside and see most people are wearing shorts/capris, flip-flops, and t-shirts and hoodies (I'm not kidding). Then, of course, I automatically start feeling self-conscious and was looking around to see who else was wearing a jacket, jeans, something. Well, I did find one person, but that didn't totally stop me from thinking that everyone was staring at me. But anyway, Gloomy's advice is pretty good. I got it right and they got it all wrong. :)

Yes! I live in Scotland- very chageable weather! I can go out in morning, proper coat cos its so windy and cold, by afternoon there's a very mild air. I feel like an idiot for even wwearing a coat. by this time everyone out in summery clothes, I am walking abt with my coat in my arm...drawing attention to fact I got it out in first place, and I feel really self concious about it.

B

Beatrice

I've went to class a few times wearing clothing that was not suitable for the weather.... and felt like an idiot. Recently it had been spring for a week or so and I thought it would be warm enough for a spring dress.... I left with it on and got to class but as I was walking my legs were freezing and my feet, which were in sandals kept getting dirty and it was raining.... so I turned around and went home and changed. Yeesh.

Rembrandt Broam

It's all about the way you perceive a situation.

Try to think of it as, "I got it right, and they've all got it wrong!"

For example, I dress very retro. Very 1950's. Walking around town I see guys in tracksuit bottoms, baseball caps on (the wrong way round, of course) and trainers. I don't feel self conscious about it. I think they look dreadful and there's no way on Earth I would want to be like them.

Just do your own thing, man. Your life is your movie.

This is great advice GloomySunday, and I do try to follow this line of thinking, but it always seems to be a tough battle against the SA voice that trys to tell me the opposite. ::(:

Rembrandt Broam

I'm really glad to see that so many people can relate to this. It's always good to discover that it isn't just you feeling this way. Thanks guys! :)

Duraldo

I used to have a HUGE anxeity just calling someone. I can call them if they're expecting it, but out of the blue....no. I've gotten over some anxiety from different situations (I had a similiar issue with wearing cold clothing on a warm day, but no my clothing is so old and crappy, idc)