Seeking Panic Attack Success Stories

bennash

Hello I am seeking people who have successfully beaten their Panic Attacks and they are no longer sufferin from this disorder.

If you have been successful then I am keen to ask you some questions about what steps you have taken.

Thanks

danieldd04

Ive never heard from anyone who personally has told me how they beat it either. However, I have heard that people have beat it with help but I dont know what to do either. Ive only heard one doctor tell me that theyve ever had a panic attack once and they said theyd rather give birth again then have another. So far i've tried SSRIs and other anti-depressants, it seemed like the only thing that ever helped was taking a valium when i had an attack, however it could just be the time that passed that got me through the attack and I thought it was the pill.

Unfortunately, I think most of the people on this board are looking for support such as yourself, so you won't hear a lot of people saying they got over them here.

As for me - I feel I have completely conquered my panic attacks, I haven't had one in a couple years. The first time I had one was terrible, and for 2 or 3 years after it I struggled really bad with panic attacks. Eventually you learn to cope with them and how to calm yourself down before you have one. However, I feel a problem I still have is anxiety. I have made myself a bit of a hypochondriac, because the first panic attack I ever had was thinking I was having a seizure/stroke/heart attack/brain tumor, something crazy like that. It kind of conditioned me to focus on little things in my body way too much and blow them out of proportion. Sensations that have more than likely always been present but just never noticed because I never really focused on them much.

It's also unfortunate that many friends/family don't really talk about panic attacks. It's a pretty common thing and I think people are scared to share their experiences with others, feeling they might be mocked or laughed at or told "it's all just in your head."

Any rate, if you can't get over it yourself try seeing some sort of counselor, maybe it would help you to talk someone. Also, some other things I've noticed is the more often I'm exercising the less likely I am to have a panic attack (kind of ironic because I have a fear of having a heart attack)

panicgirl

Hello,

I cured my panic attacks last year :)!! I still have a lot of problems with blushing, but the panic attack side of things is completely gone. The worst symptom for me was feeling like I was having an out of body experience, or depersonalization I guess.. Its really hard to explain the feeling, but im sure most of you know what I'm talking about :)

joeyd50

I think I have finally beat this thing, I wanted to wait a while before I post this to make sure it was working for me. I been on Cymbalta 60 mg since Jan. and have not had a panic attack since. Talk to your Dr. its primarily for depression, but my Doc said I was taking it for anxiety and panic attacks. If things change I'll let you know, but I've been a very happy camper since Jan.
Good Luck
Joe

Remus

Staff member
yup very true punk.

best thing that worked for me was not any kind of med but exposure therapy.

it's all in you mind no matter how real it seems, try and remember that next panic attack and ride it out

I'm cured from Panic Disorder

T

Tilly

I still suffer from them, But I have been successful in calming myself down..I guess that's a short success story,lol.

jxr2009

I try to socialize more, even if that is what causes it, spending time alone bored and brooding by yourself fosters depression and anxiety. Try to keep yourself stimulated. that help me