Searching for validation....

Luthien

Danny Elfman IS Oingo Boingo!! That guy in the orange pants? That's him! He started it with his brother (I think) but his brother didn't stay in long.

I wish there was more on the web from the Mystic Knights, because I like them a lot more than Oingo Boingo (don't hate me!!) but that video is the best one I've ever found, other than The Forbidden Zone of course. I wish Danny Elfman had kept up with juggling the band and the movie scores, he's so good at both!

Edit:
You know what? I think I'm totally wrong! I think (maybe) the red haired guy singing lead in the video may be Richard Elfman, Danny Elfman's brother. But I'm pretty sure Danny Elfman plays the Devil in the Forbidden Zone... But I'm not entirely sure. All my information comes from Wikipedia, so who knows!

Last edited:

Liberty

Banned
Sometimes I feel like the only reason I joined this forum was an attempt to feel heard and appreciated. I feel so different, so off from the rest of the world... It's sort of lonely. I have people that I love, but for some reason it's never enough! My self esteem is so wrapped up in what other people think of me, it's really bad. I am trying to change, but it keeps popping up.

I started thinking about it again because I realized that I was getting a bit sad that not many people were responding to my posts, threads or what have you. I posted a bunch of art on one thread and only one person said anything about it, and they didn't say much.

I feel a bit shirked by the community here, but then I tell my self how silly that is. Just because everyone isn't crawling all over each other to tell me how great my work or ideas are doesn't mean they don't care... I've spent most of my life trying to take care and listen to everyone in my life, and that's my problem. I really shouldn't expect anyone to be like I was, it wasn't healthy for me at all. I try to remind myself that there can be so many reasons for people doing what they do and it has very little to do with me. Maybe I just WANT everything to have to do with me. Maybe I want the world to revolve around me... Or maybe I'm just trying to fill the hole where my self-love should be and it's not really working...

I frequent a lot of forums and I've noticed that on this forum things are a little different. People usually don't pay attention to your point or what you posted but instead post something about themselves instead.

I doubt anyone on this forum, myself included, has much of anything to offer anyone else. Being so so self-focused and unhealthy doesn't lend itself well to investing in others.

M1tCh

Banned
Danny Elfman IS Oingo Boingo!! That guy in the orange pants? That's him! He started it with his brother (I think) but his brother didn't stay in long.

I wish there was more on the web from the Mystic Knights, because I like them a lot more than Oingo Boingo (don't hate me!!) but that video is the best one I've ever found, other than The Forbidden Zone of course. I wish Danny Elfman had kept up with juggling the band and the movie scores, he's so good at both!

I guess Richard started OB in its original Mystic form with some friends, but you're right about Rich only staying for a few years.

"In 1972, I took Marie to Los Angeles and we created (along with childhood chums Gene Cunningham and Matthew Bright) a musical-theatrical troupe called the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo. Danny returned from Africa and I installed him as our musical director. My guiding musical vision for the group was “nothing contemporary.” We faithfully re-created GREAT music that audiences could no longer hear live anymore – Cab Calloway, Duke Ellington, Django Rheinhardt, Josephine Baker, and did totally original, off-the-wall compositions by Danny, including numbers using an array of percussion instruments that he and saxophonist Leon Schneiderman created for the group.

I directed and performed with the Mystic Knights until around 1976, when I left to do film and other theater projects, and Danny took over as director and lead singer."

Well, actually..from what i've seen & heard -- i prefer the Mystic Knights as well.

YouTube - Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo: Tender Lumplings

About Elfman - I could never get into his soundtracks/solo work much. Maybe you can recommend something to change my mind?
I used to have a friend who sang his praises to the hilt.

M1tCh

Banned
I frequent a lot of forums and I've noticed that on this forum things are a little different. People usually don't pay attention to your point or what you posted but instead post something about themselves instead.

Unfortunately that's true a lot of the time.

Luthien

That's too bad, but it's understandable. I don't know about other people with SA, but for me a big reason is because I've spent my whole life taking care of and trying to please everyone around me! So this might be a good way for people to finally be a little selfish and talk about themselves. I've been so afraid of being selfish my whole life that I've practically ignored myself! I think it's time (for me at least) to make my life about me and no one else. Though I still tend to go to threads to give advice and try to help other people....

M1tCh

Banned
A good balance is probably the best. But i know what you mean about feeling selfish...
And yeah, many of the topics here are of a personal nature, so it's to be expected.

Last edited:

Luthien

Yep. It's definitely easier said than done. ::eek:: Sometimes you just can't help but be obsessive and over analyze until it fits into some worst case scenario. Honestly, I think the real key is to not become too emotionally invested in anything unless you know you can handle the potential rejection.

I think the key might be not to become too emotionally invested in ANYTHING! I think that when we hold on to the outcome of a situation, we're setting ourselves up for rejection. It's all about being malleable and enjoying the process and the journey, not always looking for the outcome. It seems like it takes a total mind-shift to reach the place where you can think this way, but I'm personally working towards that shift. Like Alan Watts says, when we look at life with the analogy of the journey where the purpose is to get to the end, we miss the whole point, "it was a musical thing and you were suppose to sing, or to dance while the music was being played"

YouTube - Music and Life - Alan Watts

Anomaly

I think the key might be not to become too emotionally invested in ANYTHING! I think that when we hold on to the outcome of a situation, we're setting ourselves up for rejection. It's all about being malleable and enjoying the process and the journey, not always looking for the outcome. It seems like it takes a total mind-shift to reach the place where you can think this way, but I'm personally working towards that shift. Like Alan Watts says, when we look at life with the analogy of the journey where the purpose is to get to the end, we miss the whole point, "it was a musical thing and you were suppose to sing, or to dance while the music was being played"

YouTube - Music and Life - Alan Watts

Speaking of Alan Watts and music:

YouTube - Alan Watts - The Real You

Luthien

That's a really cool video! I've never seen that particular recording of him done to music. I don't know what it is about him, there's just something about the way he talks, like there's an assurance in his words that just makes me feel like what he is saying is true and possible :)