scared to talk to people your own age

smileyshygirl

well im 17 and a senior in high school, but when it comes to interacting and being social with people around my age, i get extremely anxiuos and it feell like im about to have a panic attack. Like if im arpund alot of people during passing period or lunch, im afraid to walk by them or make eye contact with them, for fear that they may laugh at me and judge me. Does any one else have this problem? :(

Kanon

lol, probably everyone here does. don't worry, you are not alone.
some things that are helpful during these times is to appear as if you are doing something (like walking and reading), and once you get comfortable with it, start walking around normally in small doses.
I've noticed that nicest people are in the library during lunch, and that was where most of my senior year was spent. but hey, i made a friend there~

Walk

My honest suggestion is for you to make any kind of small talk, and try to be honest about most things, if you can.

Ericisme

Walk said:
My honest suggestion is for you to make any kind of small talk, and try to be honest about most things, if you can.
I am sorry but your stupid. Majority of kids in high school will laugh at you for the rest of your life if you told them your life story, that is obvious. It's the rare few good friends that won't, or somebody that relates to you.

But that is my problem to, my main fear is meeting other kids my age, for that exact reason above, they are immature and will make fun of your for it, even if its not in words, they might just stare at you.

Ashiene

im terribly afraid and shy around people my age and those younger than me, but im alot better with older people, like 10+ years older than me.

Cyrax

Yeah, same here. I'm 19 and people around my age-ish are the hardest to talk to/be around...

Walk

Ericisme said:
Walk said:
I am sorry but your stupid. Majority of kids in high school will laugh at you for the rest of your life if you told them your life story, that is obvious. It's the rare few good friends that won't, or somebody that relates to you.

But that is my problem to, my main fear is meeting other kids my age, for that exact reason above, they are immature and will make fun of your for it, even if its not in words, they might just stare at you.

The reason I said start with *small* talk is so that you can get to open up to the other person and get to know how they are. If they aren't your type, then move on. I make best conversations with strangers by starting out with the most random stuff and it sometimes ends up in a more personal level.

By the way, I think that the "stupid" comment was out of place. You could've made it more constructive if you took it out. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Ericisme

Walk said:
Ericisme said:
Walk said:

The reason I said start with *small* talk is so that you can get to open up to the other person and get to know how they are. If they aren't your type, then move on. I make best conversations with strangers by starting out with the most random stuff and it sometimes ends up in a more personal level.

By the way, I think that the "stupid" comment was out of place. You could've made it more constructive if you took it out. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Sorry but you forgot that you said this "and try to be honest about most things". Saying your stupid would be nothing compared to a 17 year old walking up to some kids his age and being "honest about most thing". Personaly that is physicly impossible for me, but if that did happen I would probably be in a mental institute within 20 minutes, so your comment was kinda stupid.

Anyway drop it. Some advice that might help is to try to find other kids in your school that seems shy like you.

Walk

Sorry but you forgot that you said this "and try to be honest about most things".

Uh yeah, I did say that. I didn't "forget".

Try to be honest with the person you're talking to. After a bit of small talk, you will know a little of that person, and if you want to continue talking, I would suggest you to keep up the honesty. Not everyone is an asshole. Lying or hiding is NOT a good thing.

Saying your stupid would be nothing compared to a 17 year old walking up to some kids his age and being "honest about most thing".

I pointed out that it didn't help your comment by telling me I'm stupid.

And your logic here is nonsense. Yeah, telling me I'm stupid, anonymously, over the internet, is not as bad as having a panic attack. Therefore it makes it right? No.

Personaly that is physicly impossible for me, but if that did happen I would probably be in a mental institute within 20 minutes, so your comment was kinda stupid.

I've done it, and I'm fine. Sure, I don't do it as often as others, but I've done it. I've also asked for girls' numbers at malls before. Scared as shit. I'm still alive.

Again, don't call me or the comment stupid; rather, give me the alternative to my advice and tell me why it's a better deal. Calling names just doesn't help you. It only makes you seem like a douchebag.

Anyway drop it.

Ok, call me stupid and then just drop it. Nice....

Some advice that might help is to try to find other kids in your school that seems shy like you.

Alright. This is good and bad advice.

Sure, it's easier to talk to another person with this problem, but the fact is, most people don't have it. So if all you have to deal with is "regular" people, then that's who you will talk to. Yeah it's not easy... I know that firsthand.