scared sleepless

Hi,
I've heard that wherever you have a panic attack turns into a fear of going back there. I had a panic attack a few days ago right before falling asleep in my bedroom. Now I'm afraid of trying to fall asleep in my room or just falling asleep in general because I don't want to have another panic attack. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

LadyWench

I wish I knew the answer on how to fix this problem. The only thing I can really offer, is to let you know that you are not alone in this.

I dropped out of junior high school because of my panic attacks (I've had them since I was a toddler). The first time I had a panic attack at school, I felt like I couldn't go back after that, because I was afraid of having another one. It became a routine after that. I HAD to go to school. So, when I did, I feared the attack, and then had one because it was all I could think about.

I realize this isn't helping. Just thought I'd put my story out there so you'd know that you're at least not the only person that goes through this.

I hope you do find comfort, though, and you're able to sleep in your bedroom again (or sleep at all) without having anxiety.

Try listening to music while you're in there, or watching a movie or a TV show? Or try reading, perhaps. It might distract your mind and make you sleepy enough to just fall asleep without worrying.

FOR REAL

Banned
i had the same kind of problem 'panic even when your going to sleep'

relaxation tapes, self hypnosis tapes REALLY DO WORK

theres a thread on here by "redzer" and its got these things you can download for free, you have to switch your door buzzer thing off and also your mobile phone!

theres a quote on one of these tape things "in a moment you are going to feel more relaxed than youve ever been before"

try it i reckon, if it works it works, if it doesnt work it doesnt work

you wont lose anything by testing it

dooby-duck

i had the same kind of problem 'panic even when your going to sleep'

relaxation tapes, self hypnosis tapes REALLY DO WORK

Totally agree. I sometimes have a hard time sleeping or staying asleep. Those hypnosis mp3's are really good at making me relax. The first parts of them go through relaxation techniques like breathing and relaxing muscles and stuff. Sometimes I'm asleep before the next stage starts.

shybhoy

you have to face your fear and sleep in your bedroom its the only way....you have nothing to fear panic attacks are frightening but NOT dangerous. they say panic attack are anger thats not been expressed over a long period of time and this is how the body releases it....is there anything in your life that made you really angry maybe tackling the route of the problem is best but facing your fears will also help.

Hi,
I've heard that wherever you have a panic attack turns into a fear of going back there. I had a panic attack a few days ago right before falling asleep in my bedroom. Now I'm afraid of trying to fall asleep in my room or just falling asleep in general because I don't want to have another panic attack. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

I haven't had a severe panic attack since 2007. I don't really know why I haven't had one because I am all anxious all the time. But when I did have those horrible attacks, it was always right before going to sleep. I was always in bed when it happened. And a for a long time I would be scared to go to bed because I was afraid it would return. I don't have any answers, though. I can't believe it's been two years since I've had one. The only thing I can think of, is realize it is not a heart attack, and just let it pass when it does come on. At least you're in bed and not driving down the road. That happened to my father about 25 years ago before I was born, it caused him to drive like a madman, so the story goes.

mimi1988

Are there like mild panic attacks and severe ones?
Sometimes my heart will start to beat really fast and I'll start feeling light-headed for no apparent reason. But it's nothing too serious. The last time I remember having a REAL (or severe) panic attack was when I was in the 9th grade. It actually happened twice while I was in the 9th grade (how odd). But I had never experienced a panic attact before that incident. But I wasn't afraid to go back to school because of the panic attack. As it was nothing that happened every other week. I just find it strange that some ppl say they have it like every other day.