Scared. No hope.

Rodney

I'm scared. I feel like overcoming this is impossible. I used to think that I was just in a rut but now I think it's something more than that. I've been chosing not to be social for longer than I first thought. I thought this bull **** started at the end of highschool but now I see it goes as far back as grade school. When the other 8th graders started talking to eachother at recess, I just played basketball. When I got a girlfriend in grade 10 I never called her and never made out with her or even cuddled with her! Then I broke up with her for no reason! I would always stay home on weekends and was never invited or attended parties. In grade 11 and 12 I went to a few small parties. In grade 12 a girl wanted to go out with me but I was too scared to take things to the next level. Prom was horrible and my date had a terrible time. I've always been an outsider. I don't know why I'm never liked and am always an outsider.

Then when I went to university, socially I failed miserably and went home after a semester. I just couldn't deal with dorm life. Then for the past 3 and half years I've isolated myself. One of the biggest mistakes of my life! I just sat at home for 3 years playing call of duty: zombies and drinking alcohol. My brain is mush. I can't coherently form sentences when I talk to people. I have no idea how to be social. I can't hold a ****ing conversation. I feel lower than low. Oh, did I mention how people used to say how stupid I was in high school? Yup, even when I could some what speak to others, people thought I was stupid. Imagine what they'd think of me now; they'd probably think I was retarded.

Now I'm moving really far away thinking that this will fix my problem but all I can picture is myself being completely miserable and alone. I'm trying to stay positive but I just don't see me getting to where I want to be. I want to be able to attend parties and socialize with people. I want to be one of the guys at a party or bbq who are standing around with beers in their hands while their girlfriends are over sitting and chatting.

I just wish I would have known back when I was in grade 8 that I needed to be more social. I wish my parents would have pushed me more and not have enabled me to be this way. I had to work for them at their shop which was 8 hours of isolation; just me and my thoughts. It definitely helped in ****ing me up.

If anyone has any similar stories or can relate I would appreciate it. I'm feeling really down and lonely right now.

Rodney, you're ahead of some here already. Girlfriends! What's that?

Your story here has a lot. A lot of your thoughts. Understandably so, it's tough. Think about where you will be out most. Grocery shopping, walking, whatever. Think of ten simple questions, non-personal questions. Then ask the cashier, passerby, a question. "How about this weather?" for example.

Work on overcoming socializing first.

It also seems you have some depression. This will hold you back and ensure you delve into solitary endeavors only. This will need dealing with as well.

Try the simple first; simple, non-personal questions to strangers.

Bustn Justin

Sorry to hear about how your anxiety is affecting your life.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to socialize with people?

Anyways do not give up, things will get better. Talk to a professional about this and take small steps to be more social.

Rodney

Rodney, you're ahead of some here already. Girlfriends! What's that?

Your story here has a lot. A lot of your thoughts. Understandably so, it's tough. Think about where you will be out most. Grocery shopping, walking, whatever. Think of ten simple questions, non-personal questions. Then ask the cashier, passerby, a question. "How about this weather?" for example.

Work on overcoming socializing first.

It also seems you have some depression. This will hold you back and ensure you delve into solitary endeavors only. This will need dealing with as well.

Try the simple first; simple, non-personal questions to strangers.

Thanks, Sial I appreciate your words. You seem so wise when you speak. I'm feeling a little more positive now. I just don't want to fail. I will implement your strategy along with other strategies when I move away this month. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to count myself out despite all my past failures.

Gaucho

hey,wholy crap, 80% story of my life. really, i can totally feel your pain. my last high school years i isolated myself, somehow i managed to finish it. then 2 years after high school i did absolutely nothing, just be on the pc 24/7. then i started university in a different city, i was so scared that i would fail, and what happened? haha i super failed!!!. i just isolated my self in the dorm, and after 1 semester after suffering every single day i went home. i have to go back now in a month but i know nothing will change, and i i know that the best thing would be to unscript myself from the dorm and uni.but i NEED ALTERNATIVES!!but i don't enjoy anything! I'm also not able to talk properly i wold say.

my problem is, i have to do something with my life!! but i just don't know what, because i don't like anything, and I'm scared of failing at everything i start.

I'm quite hopeless, i need a solution, does any of you guys have tip how i could approach my situation? i feel the need to go to uni to to one day get a good payed job and be socially accepted, but i think I'm not smart enough for it anyways.

hey,wholy crap, 80% story of my life. really, i can totally feel your pain. my last high school years i isolated myself, somehow i managed to finish it. then 2 years after high school i did absolutely nothing, just be on the pc 24/7. then i started university in a different city, i was so scared that i would fail, and what happened? haha i super failed!!!. i just isolated my self in the dorm, and after 1 semester after suffering every single day i went home. i have to go back now in a month but i know nothing will change, and i i know that the best thing would be to unscript myself from the dorm and uni.but i NEED ALTERNATIVES!!but i don't enjoy anything! I'm also not able to talk properly i wold say.

my problem is, i have to do something with my life!! but i just don't know what, because i don't like anything, and I'm scared of failing at everything i start.

I'm quite hopeless, i need a solution, does any of you guys have tip how i could approach my situation? i feel the need to go to uni to to one day get a good payed job and be socially accepted, but i think I'm not smart enough for it anyways.

Some I know's and I think in your post. You think you're not smart, you know you will fail.... Stop. You're over thinking.

You don't like anything? Preposterous! You like online time, away from society. I will assume you're an introvert. You prefer to stay in and read to out there and partying. This is ok. But you can have fun out there. Balance your time with socializing time and you will always have energy.

You will have to work on your social skills though. CBT will help alter your negative thoughts. Replace those thoughts, turn them around. I know I will fail = I know I will do my best and damn those who want me to fail.

You're not a failure.

Thomas Edison when asked about the light bulb: 'I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work.'