Saddam Hussein

sensitive

First of all, i'm sorry because this may not directly related to Westerners who are the vast majority here. I just want to say what i think and many people share with me in this point.

Most people here (i mean Middle East by here) are so mad because of Saddam's execution for almost the same reason. People here consider Saddam as a hero of all arabs although most of them agree that he was a dictator. The trial wasn't more than a joke. They executed him after less than two months of trial and that's unacceptable. There have been lots of legal violations during the trial but i'm not going to talk about them since i'm not specialized in law.

This man was a former leader of armed forces and was supposed to be executed by shooting according to military rules and he asked for that.

There's an issue about the time. He was executed in the first day of Eid ul-Adha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul-Adha) and that be cosidered here as insensitive behaviour toward muslims. And it's not true that iraqis executed their former presidents because Iraq is under occupation.

Darkly13

sensitive said:
The trial wasn't more than a joke. They executed him after less than two months of trial and that's unacceptable.
It's much more acceptable than the brutality that was carried out under his regime.

sensitive

Oh really. Let me tell you that hundreds of thousands of iraqi civilian were killed since the US invasion of Iraq. Saddam's time is much better than America's, iraqis says so not me.

He was a horrible dictator but the trail wasn't fair. If you watched the news international community condemned the execution.

blackcap

sensitive said:
Oh really. Let me tell you that hundreds of thousands of iraqi civilian were killed since the US invasion of Iraq. Saddam's time is much better than America's, iraqis says so not me.

Sure, we believe you.

testobot

sensitive said:

He was a horrible dictator but the trail wasn't fair. If you watched the news international community condemned the execution.

I agree that the occupation of Iraq is wrong. But the REALITY is that most of the 100s of thousands of Iraqi civilians killed since the US invasion of Iraq have directly occured as a result of sectarian violence and Al qaeda types. It's all about their egos really not justice.

Was the trial fair? probably not.. but the kurds, shiites, and Iranians who suffered from Sadams brutality are not complaining about his death.

sensitive

Again, Saddam was a horrible dictator but what happened is WRONG. In Saddam's time there were no sectarian voilence, no murders, no kidnappings, no shiites, no sunnis all iraqis were same.

testobot

sensitive said:
Again, Saddam was a horrible dictator but what happened is WRONG. In Saddam's time there were no sectarian voilence, no murders, no kidnappings, no shiites, no sunnis all iraqis were same.

yes, so what does justice mean? regardless that more iraqis are dying now... 10s of thousands of kurds, shiites, and Iranians died by his commands. I am not advocating that he should have died because I do not believe in the endless violence that comes from the eye for an eye philosophy... but regardless he was still a brutal criminal who deserves punishment. What do you think?

I do think it was wrong that the execution took part during the beginning of a muslim holy observations... but the Iraqi government is taking credit for the execution.

sensitive

Sure he deserves punishment but his people must took the resposiblity to punish him not by authorities came to power by America. They have no legitimacy to do anything in Iraq.

And yes justice means, it means alot.

testobot

sensitive said:
Sure he deserves punishment but his people must took the resposiblity to punish him not by authorities came to power by America. They have no legitimacy to do anything in Iraq.

And yes justice means, it means alot.

ok. but I don't believe the authories came to power by America. not directly, anyways... the elections did... but the government came about by the Iraqi people electing it. Anywho, I will leave it at that... I am sure that we could argue forever about that. In the end, I think most of the world would like to see peace and the US troops out of Iraq.

Brad38

The execution is all about inciting more violence, which will make it more politically correct to kill more Iraqis. The puppet goverment is a joke. It`s all just a smokescreen. In the end, the united states wnats to colonize that region itself. In order to do that the Iraqi civilians have to be killed. It`s not democratization going down there, its genocide.

ash_2001

Brad38 said:
The execution is all about inciting more violence, which will make it more politically correct to kill more Iraqis. The puppet goverment is a joke. It`s all just a smokescreen. In the end, the united states wnats to colonize that region itself. In order to do that the Iraqi civilians have to be killed. It`s not democratization going down there, its genocide.

Well put!

This is not about who is right or who is wrong. It's about the balance of power. When Saddam was being the "big old mean dictator", Bush was the "go-gooder guy" who was trying to stop Saddam's evil rein of power by quietly bringing in his men to kill civilians (the logic here is beyond me :roll: ). Now when they've finally captured this creature of pure evil who kills everything and everyone in its path, Bush's government can't wait to hang him. Power balance shifts and Saddam is helpless, weak, and appeals more to the eyes of the public, and now we obviously blame Bush (since, dictator or not, this is still disrespectful to the Iraqis in general, oh and besides a great example for everyone else), for this cruelty, of having executed Saddam.

Fighting violence with more violence is like fucking for virginity! Or in the words of George Orwell: "War is peace."

(Please note this message was submerged in sarcasm prior to appearing on your screens.) :twisted:

Power_Bog

Brad38 said:

The US did not have any coherent idea of what it really wanted to do in Iraq.

The US invaded Iraq because the giant rize of right-wing media gave obviously stupid people in charge cart blanche to do whatever they wanted, whom wanted to invade Iraq because they perceived it as a threat, which they wanted to perceive of a threat for none other than whimsical personal reasons.

That's it. That's the whole story. There is no grand evil skeme or a genocidal one. Stupid people were insulated of their idiot thinking and they have no idea what they are doing.[/i]

witchblade

Truth.....we will never know

First, as an individual, I could care less about Saddam being killed. He reaped what he sowed. He was a monster who contributed trash to this world. He is responisble for hundreds of thousands of deaths, rapes, and several other inhuman acts.

However I do not think it was the time for this to happen. Think about this, what about justice for all the other iraqi's who wanted to face him down at the next trials. Oh wait, maybe bush never wanted the Biggest trial....The chemical attack on the Kurds in the 1980's. I was waiting for that trial because I wanted to see how much Regan and Rumsfeld helped Saddam at that time. What a suprise that we will never learn more details. I can not stand bush but lets not forget about Tony Blair and the United Kingdom. They all have their roles to play.

It is not our job to police the world. Democracy comes from within and cannot be forced. If the iraqi's want it bad enough they will have to fight together for it. The U.S. military has been abused and mis-used by Bush, who doesent seem to have a problem when others are doing the fighting and the dying. Shame on him.

FlirtyandDirty

It was ok for Saddam to live when he was a puppet of the States, Britian and others. When he was commiting his evil acts, these countries knew about and and did nothing because they had nothing to gain from it. We keep hearing of his evil acts, and rightly so, but am sick to death of our Goverments taking the moral high ground only to act like scum.

Witchblade, I too wanted to go more into detail so we could see just hope pure our govenrments are.

I do not think that Saddam should have been hung, murder is murder no matter who does it. He should have spent the rest of his natural life in prison.

And the Iraqi government is a puppet now. People may have elected them, but who allowed them to stand in the first place. You can bet everything that you have that if it was groups who wanted to oust the Americans/British and not allow them any access to their country, they would not have been accepted by the States.

FlirtyandDirty

Power_Bog,

George Bush knew exactly what he wanted to do in Iraq. It just turned out that it was not as easy as he assumed. I take that back, the men who run the States knew what they wanted.

Y

Sensetive, dont say ur supporting that monster!!! Come on!!!

You say hes a horrible dictator, ok so what are you protesting?, he shouldve been killed and he is, why would it matter if the trial went on for longer? The result would be the same.

Shonen_Yo

Y said:
Sensetive, dont say ur supporting that monster!!! Come on!!!

You say hes a horrible dictator, ok so what are you protesting?, he shouldve been killed and he is, why would it matter if the trial went on for longer? The result would be the same.

I think that's exactly the point: the trial was a mockery. These are the same trials in-which he gave his own prisoners.

If the west wants to show its moral integrity, it can't simple execute everyone is sees as an enemy; otherwise, in Iraqi eyes, it's just the same regime with a different name. There should be a clear distinction between the way we act and how they act, but the line seems to be blurred.

The elections were also a mockery in my opinion. Did the Americans even let the Iraqis select their own candidates, or was it simple American friend #1 vs. American friend #2?

romeno82

i just wonder why all the non-westerners are so critical with western world. here in the west we can have free opinions and support them in public places, whereby you cant.

i also think that christianism and islamism are one of the biggest evils of human history. they have brought to this world nothing but moralism.
and im really proud that western society is becoming free of them. whereby you are ruled by this religious biggots.

NYOrdeal

Seriously, on Saddam...

You don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Same goes for the Ex-Prime Minister of Thailand and Manuel Noriega.
U.S. backed-up leaders of the world one way or another have suffered a collapsing fate, and hopefully it happens to all of them.

Americans can brag about the sectarian violence all they want doesn't change the fact that 655,000 Iraqis died!,if your going to talk shit just about Saddam killing then why don't you look at the atrocities over the years the U.S. has caused the world.
I can truly tell you its ALOT worse then this evil dictator who was supported by the U.S.

The worst dictators are in Washington, and all the lackeys across the world that are subservient to Washington.

FlirtyandDirty

romeno82 said:
i just wonder why all the non-westerners are so critical with western world. here in the west we can have free opinions and support them in public places, whereby you cant.

i also think that christianism and islamism are one of the biggest evils of human history. they have brought to this world nothing but moralism.
and im really proud that western society is becoming free of them. whereby you are ruled by this religious biggots.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to say what you want in the west. You can no longer say that you do not think that homosexuality is not natural, thats now classed as homophobia. Don't believe me, then look for the news item pertaining to the couple who wanted to put their Christian literature next to literature about gay rights or something. They were arrested. You can be arrested for swearing in Britian. If ther police ask you to stop and you continue, you can be charged with a public offence or something and fined. Or maybe it's if you just swear at them. Still, you can't say what oyu want can you. It's the start of a very slipery slope.