SAD, the gamebook

Ebbe

Please join me in creating our very own SAD gamebook (for the definition of gamebook: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook). I'll start with the first 2 posts to give you an idea. And if no one wants to join, I'll just write for myself. HA!

Post #1.

You are a citizen of planet Earth. You have lived here for many years and you have been shy and socially anxious for a decent amount of them. Some days have been hard and other days have been easier, but today is a special day because you will go on an adventure.

You have been staring at your computer screen for too long. When you turn your head towards the window of the room you occupy you see either sunlight or darkness, and for a moment you stare, wondering how long you have been in this room. Suddenly you hear a loud burst from behind your head. When you turn back around you perceive in amazement that in the spot where once your door used to be, there are now two large heavy doors that have small carved writing on them. You hesitate, wondering if you have gone into full blown psychosis, but then decide to approach the door to the left.

When you look closely you see that the small writing is repeating itself over and over again. With a shock you realise that it says: “Talk to someone you admire.”

The thought scares you and quickly you turn to the other door in the hopes of seeing something more soothing written there, but to your utter distress you read: “Give a compliment to a stranger.”

You stoop back in sheer terror, only to notice that the room behind you is quickly dissolving into thin air. You don't want to dissolve into thin air! Choose!

Talk to someone you admire, and go to post #2

Give a compliment to a stranger, and go to post #3

Last edited:

Ebbe

Post #2.

The door opens into a large empty white room, and you quickly close the door behind you. You suddenly hear a familiar voice on your left ask you “Can I help you with something?”
You turn your head and you feel a mix of joy and nausea as you see that it is Person X, the person you have been admiring for years for their incredible work on Y and Z.

“How wonderful to meet you. I love all your work. Could you tell me how to get to post #4?”

Run away, far, far away to post #5

Last edited:

Ebbe

Ok I'll just do this one too.

Post #3.

The door opens into an alley. You are not sure where you are, but you can hear music nearby. You walk to the end of the alley, careful not to step into anything dirty, and you reach a small record store. When you step inside to ask for directions, you notice that your favorite band is playing and that the girl in the corner is wearing their T-shirt. You walk over to her and compliment her on her excellent taste. She smiles and thanks you, happy to have met someone who shares her love for the band. “So where are you headed? Uptown or downtown?”

Uptown! To post #6
Downtown, I guess. To post #7

Last edited:
Post #5.

3 PM. Somehow you were able to get back to your dingy little room again. You felt safe here. You wonder, is this all just a bad dream? But you couldn't care less. You were so tired and sleep deprived that you plunked yourself down on your bed and drifted off.

It was one of those naps where you'd wake up and feel like you've been sleeping for a thousand years - you felt like a mummy almost - except when you glanced over at the clock, you discovered that only 2 hours has elapsed.

You are sure you're awake, but you feel as if you're still dreaming. Anyway, you remembered that you had to go do some grocery shopping. You took off on foot. The local supermarket is a just short walk away from your apartment. Now most of the time you'd prefer to do shopping at night, but today you felt a little bold - something's not right.

Maybe half of your brain just never really got out of la la land. Sometimes you felt as if you're swimming, as opposed to walking. After walking into the store, you instinctively headed for the men's room. To check if you look weird.

You pushed open the door. Someone was pulling towels out of the dispenser. Your stomach felt weird. Time slowed down. Anxiety! You looked up. Met the gaze of a cute looking girl.

"Oh." you muttered. Her face broke into a grin.

"****!" you sprang backwards out of the lady's room as if you're dodging a cobra's strike.

"What's wrong with me today. Oh well at least she thought it was funny.

Continue your shopping. To post #8
Do something else. To post #9

Last edited:

Ebbe

Post #4

Following directions carefully, you find your way through a network of corridors. After you make your last turn, you expect to finally find some way out of this place, but instead you find yourself standing in the middle of what seems to be a cocktail bar.

You realise that you should be heading home and that you haven’t eaten in hours, but the lure of alcohol, and the relief from anxiety it promises has gotten a hold on you. You move slowly towards the bar, trying not to make eye contact with the group of women that seem to be making jokes about your shifty appearance. You finally place yourself on the red leather cushion of one of the barstools and a heavyset barman walks towards you. “What will it be?” he grunts. You suddenly can’t think of anything and you clutch the cold marble of the bar trying to search your memory for any words that describe alcoholic beverages. Now you notice a chalkboard on the far end of the bar and you decipher several drinks you have never heard of. You decide to order the first thing on the list, because anything is better than having this man stare at you for a second longer. “…, please?” you whisper. “Could you speak up?” His expression has become quite annoyed now. You clear your throat, breath in deep and as loud as you can you order:

The Xanax surprise, to post #11

The Dutch courage, to post #12

Last edited: