SA is increasing in populations?

timidhorse

I read the best SA book I could find in my college library today, it was published in 2000. This book had some interesting topics, of which, should make us all feel better about having SA. It examines that society may be equally to blame.

According to "Diagonally-Parked in a Parallel Universe : Working Through Social Anxiety."

Culture as well as more overwhelming social stressors can manifest SA. There's been a shift as recent as the 90's where we have faced rapid technological advancement, causing more people to think individually and not communally as they did between the 1950 and 1980. It was all "self" and getting what "self" enjoyed be it video games or a cellphone.

Intelligence, competence, and technical skills that many SA sufferers have are now being overlooked for jobs. Now we are completing against the socially competent, and we're not necessarily talking about very bright people here. A social person with just a year of experience can now take away a promotion from a person who has 5 years of experience but lacks sociability.

Media reinforces the likability of the extrovert. Technology allows us to use credit cards and instead of going to a cash register, we self-check out. The internet creates a barrier from which we can never get away from. Many people are losing out on much needed social practice. Most people don't take the effort to get to really know a person or be in deep relationships, they rather add 300+ people on Facebook or Myspace who they most likely don't know or unable to communicate with them all. It's all for show, a sort of narcissism radiating throughout society. Those who can't get into the program are ousted and looked down towards because they were born in the wrong times.

Sorry, if you are much older than the 90's, that particular part would not apply to you. Still this book seems really useful, I have not yet read through it all but I will be purchasing it. I have read very many good reviews on this book and how it helped many sufferers overcome SA. Oh, and it said the number of SA sufferers are increasing, so I believe it has something in the environment that is different than previous years for this to occur.

Guys, tell me what you think of this.

Outshined

Interesting. I agree that things are becoming less personable with more technology taking the place of human interaction. It's every man for himself these days. Sad...
Concerning SA, I'll say having a site like this to come to has been pretty nice. Just being able to read what others have posted here has helped me. It's comforting to know other people are fighting the same battles. So to me that's a positive thing about having a computer and the internet.

Last edited:

dottie

So true. You can be dumb as a brick but as long as you are socially competent you go far. Those who are good schmoozers and actors will go far. Unfortunately when anxiety knocks me off my feet I lose composure. The heavy, opaque veil of my social ineptitude leaves little visage of intelligence or any other redeeming qualities.

I'll have to check out the book.

dottie

BTW where did you find this book? On amazon it's $90 new and $43 used. Yikes! Checked my local library catalogues, unfortunately they don't have it.

cosmosis

Fascinating. I agree as well. I think one of the biggest driving forces behind SA is that we don't desire to be part of a real community anymore. If you have ever strongly and sincerely wanted to be a part of a group, you will notice how your anxiety will actually go down. That need to be with the group is greater than your anxiety. It's only when we don't really know what we want or become disconnected - we become fixated on the pain and anxiety instead of the joy of being a part of a group.

I think that the more superficial society gets, the more people will feel the need for love, validation, friendships etc, because thats what will suffer due to lack of true care and relationships.

things like texting on a mobile phone doesn't replace human interaction!

ShyCanuck

I think a large part of it is that in modern society, the internet can behave like a "social surrogate" that can forgo the need for face-to-face social contact, which can eliminate the need or ability for people to develop proper social skills or face-to-face communication. For example, my words tend to flow more smoothly and eloquently on the internet then they do in face-to-face conversations.

Nack

Banned
Make sense to me, cause whenever i'm curious about something. I can easily get the information I needed, instead of going to other people and asking them for answers. I do kinda blame technology for this, but yet again its me who can't stop using it, right?