SA and Jobs

prince1

Does SA effect what jobs you may want to do etc. Im still in school (last year) and chose not to stay on or go to collage for the simple reason that im too scared :( . But now my parent are forcing me to get a job and all the jobs that i want to do involve talking to strangers and social interaction. I dont want to end up in a boring job just so i dont fell anxious all the time but i think thats the way it gonna happen. Anyone else feel the same?

ezrider

did you think about being some kind of mechanic or engineer ?
these jobs usually dont require much talking to strangers but still their not boring at all (in my opinion) :D

DancingDann

The only advice i could really give it to get a quiet job that doesn't involve a lot of interaction with other people.

I'm quite shocked that so many people here have jobs. Myself, i've never had a job in my life. Just the thought of going for an interview is enough to make me sick to my stomach.

I wish you the best of luck and i hope it all works out well for you. x

nope1

Don't know... me, I'm waiting for a job at a local "pharmacy" store where I'll work in the postal area.

I tell myself that I should force myself to work in an area where I'm scared because that will only get me forward. Off course I'll make mistakes, make a fool of myself but I tell myself... that's the learning process to be better socially.

I'll learn how to interact with customers, you don't really have to get to know them or be friend with them. Just interact with them if they need to send something.

So my advice is... Work somewhere not stressing a lot but where you'll be able to interact with the customers. (I'm saying this advice to myself also).

Because at school, you have a choice to avoid social stuff...
But at work, you MUST interact with the customers in order to not get fired. I guess that's an incentive to conquer the fear.

Moonie

My first question is ... do you want to go to college? You said you chose to not go on because you are too scared. If the answer is yes, then I'd suggest to go to college. I didn't really like college my first semester (but it was for a mixture of reasons.) I even took a semester off before going back to a new school. I like to learn and I am good at school despite me being incredibly shy. My one rule about my shyness (and it's really my only rule) is not to let it get in the way of something I want to do. It's only then that I consider shyness a problem.

I know that I might have more obstacles than someone who isn't shy, but in a way, I think it makes me a stronger person. School, interviews, jobs are harder for me, but you have to take it one step at a time. You have to challenge yourself and make yourself better. I have had a couple part-time jobs in the past. I also didn't get some of them - but I am not sure why I didn't in some cases. I think because I had a long commute, they wanted someone to work different hours, etc. Basically, if you don't get the job, don't take it personally. Hell, I've been so scared trhat I drank heavily before an interview. Very dumb and I think that's the reason I lost a job I really wanted. But, it wasn't what I wanted to do as a career so I am glad I learned how dumb that was before it could have ruined my life. That was a learning experience for me. So, look at the process more as self-growth. And interviews alone can be a great step because then you have an idea of what types of questions that might be asked for the next one.

I am just curious, but what type of job are you interested in?

MrMark

i left my last job because of SA reasons.

now i need money so bad and i was forced to get another job. i managed to get through the interview JUST about. i almost lost it at one point but i luckily got myself together and hid my anxiety enough to not come across like an unemployable freak.

i start soon and i ain't looking forward to it. its a customer service job. so loads of face to face dealings throughout the day. just gonna have to deal with it i suppose.

Waybuloo

I think it's best to find ur area of interest and find a career or job related to it. You'll get anxiety one way or another in any job, unless u want to be bored shitless in doing admin on computers 8 hours at a time.

Having said that i really don't know what i Want to do. I know what i am going to do though because i studied finance, so it follows that i'm going to work in finance. Some of my friends have gotton places in big firms and are already high flying young professionals, but getting over the first interview is like life and death for me.

prince1 my highschool had a career counsellor and there were books that list all the jobs and careers out there, some requiring degrees and some not. U might want to discuss with ur career counsellor or have a look at those type of listings.