SA ≠ weakness of character.

Pookah

This week at my job (I work in a warehouse) we were having our year end inventory. This tends to be a time where everyone relaxes slightly and we all wander around the huge warehouse counting and basically otherwise left to our own devices.

I was paired with a guy with an extremely extroverted nature. He was making jokes to me and everyone around and talking. (The kind of person I am extremely uncomfortable around.) People for the past two days have been teasing him and me about whether or not he was bothering me. I generally come off as extremely quiet and shy while he is a "ball breaker". He found this to be of interest and would bring it up to others asking if he is that annoying that everyone is trying to protect me from him.

One of the older guys tried to explain it was because I was so quiet that they didn't think I'd speak up for myself basically. Throughout the day we would complain about various things, I would offer help with the math or suggest ways to go about counting troublesome locations. The older guy decided that "I take back what I said earlier, she does talk." So I replied "I'm shy but I have a strong personality." Everyone just chuckled.

Sorry for the long setup but basically I want to know what everyone thinks. I believe even though I have anxiety and am timid in interaction I am still just as firm in my opinions, feelings, likes and dislikes as anyone else. When I feel comfortable enough or strongly enough about something I will speak up in those instances, otherwise I feel awkwardly out of place or simply uninterested in saying anything to other people.

So can we have SA but still be formidable on the inside? I think we can, my inner self isn't as much able to be expressed on the outside and I think that is a huge contributor to my anxiety/depression...feeling bottled up.

/end rambling

Predacon

Hi I don't think its a contradiction. It just depends on the circumstances. I know that in the right environment I do a good job of projecting my opinions if I think its necessary, while in others I can be quite reluctant too. I think its a comfort thing, you've obviously been there long enough that you can state your opinion without getting nervous about it. Good for you.

Yes,I know what you mean as i am exactly the same. I am also quiet and timid in social settings, but if i feel strongly enough about something i will stand firm in my opinions and likes/dislikes regarding a subject when the need arises and i don't feel threatened.
I have caused shocked looks on past work mates faces sometimes because they did not think such a timid person like me could stand up for something or someone.

U

userremoved

I wouldn't call it a weakness in character but I don't see someone with really bad SA being formidable on the inside. IMO if someone can intimidate or put anxiety in another individual with little or no effort, they've exerted a certain amount of power and control over that persons thoughts and actions. I too feel more comfortable to express my thoughts in certain situations but as long as I can still get run off by someone simply acting too outgoing I wouldn't consider myself to be formidable.

Pookah

I went for the "distinct/inspiring awe" aspect of the word formidable. I just mean the real us, the us that we let peak through to certain people can actually be a strong personality though SA impedes expression/comfort.

U

userremoved

I went for the "distinct/inspiring awe" aspect of the word formidable. I just mean the real us, the us that we let peak through to certain people can actually be a strong personality though SA impedes expression/comfort.

Ah ok, yeah that makes sense. The personality we show the world is most definitely not the real us.

aizome

i'm generally very shy and meek, but considering i went right off at a rude, unprofessional registrar at the hospital a few days ago despite being a nervous wreck, i'd say some of us are actually quite formidable. my life is really awful right now, but i'll be damned if i let some doctor make me feel worse about it. :D