Run out of things to talk about at work

sevenroses

Have you guys ever come to work and find a lot of things to say because you are new or because you meet a new coworker. Do you guys run of of things to say after a few shifts of seeing each other on a regular basis? If so what do you guys talk about then after? Thanks

worrywort

yea I have this problem....although I've noticed that my coworkers don't really have much to say either, so I don't think the problem lies solely with me.....but yea, at first we all had a fair bit to say, but these days we tend to just talk about the weather and work stuff.....but I think there's always wiggle room here and there if you look for it....like, I quite often ask my coworkers what they're up to on weekends or holidays and sometimes that can be a nice way into finding out something new about them. Like with the world cup recently I found out one of the old guys is really into football, so we've talking about that everyday now!

it is difficult though.....I still spend most of my time avoiding them so that I keep small talk opportunities to a minimum!

EasySkankin

I don't know how it is for females, but for me, I just talk about whatever... basically, I will talk alot and say nothing... if that make sense. It's mostly dirty jokes or if I know the person somewhat, I'll talk about whatever we have in common - video games, playing guitar or hating our boss... lol... of course one cannot be talking 24/7... there are long periods where we just say "hi" or "sup" :p

mrb

its all the same old chit chat for me at work , like what did you have for dinner , stuff about current events in the news papers , or wot did you watch on tv last night , we all pretty much lead the same lives , wake up go to work home tv then bed .....

Richey

yeh i generally strike up some general chit-chat and ater 3 or so times i completely run out of things to talk about and then i go really quiet for the rest of the shift ...the problem i have is i come across as serious at work, like i dont know how to tease and joke around with people which is a huge problem i think ..i work in hospitality and its really stressful and socially in your face all the time so i think when im more relaxed im much more entertaining but really im a shy person so its difficuly anyway.

Liberty

Banned
Have you guys ever come to work and find a lot of things to say because you are new or because you meet a new coworker. Do you guys run of of things to say after a few shifts of seeing each other on a regular basis? If so what do you guys talk about then after? Thanks

Something about having Social Phobia makes it so that you always feel like you have to be talking to someone you are around or it's weird. I have this same issue. I've been making a lot of progress and feeling pretty comfortable even if I'm not starting conversations about random crap right and left. My co-workers are so used to me doing it that recently when I'm just walking with one of them or in a car with them they'll just start conversations about completely random off-the-wall stuff lol. I just play along with it and feel pretty good that I don't need it.