Roots Of Your SA

So when did your SA start, and what was the cause? Bullying? Issues with parents? Another disorder that makes you self-conscious?

For me, I was always somewhat introverted, even as a kid. But in middle school, my best friend drifted apart from me, and everyone starting gravitating into groups, and sub-groups that I didn't fit into. I didn't know how to start friendships, and I barely had any real interests. The amount of homework overwhelmed me, and I just completely shut myself off from the world. I'm much more sociable now, cause I went to the right HS, and am headed in a good direction. But I still suffer with feeling I suck at everything.

Your turn.

zen~xen

I was the most outgoing kid out of my family, but as soon as i got into my teens. i became really self-concious and shy started to get bullied. then stupidly started using drugs which was the killer blow. when i was at college i started blushing when people looked at me, they started taking the piss out of me so i quit and had a complete breakdown.

I was always pretty shy and slow to warm up to people. My SA started in 7th grade when I got severe acne. I got made fun of a lot, classmates who call me craterface and other mean names. I still had a stable group of friends though. After my acne went away things got better and I started high school, began dating etc Life was good, but the acne came back again in 2009 and that's when my SA started again. I became very self-conscious and depressed. Didn't want to go out, socialize, or even have people look at me. It didn't help that people always went "what happened to your face?" Now I just stay home.

Bullied Anonymous

Wild guess? I already had family issues and still do. Unfortunately, the bullying me didn't help with what I was already going through. Around my first year in HS I guess I sort of sensed I was a little hesitant about things I just didn't think it would get this bad for me. I'm almost over qualified in symptoms. The only thing I haven't had was a full on panic attack. I feel like life has gotten so much harder.

AGR

Probably changing countries,everything in my home country seemed easier,I had lots of friends,it was easier to interact with girls,who knows what I could have been had I stayed there,but there are things you just need to do.

Last edited:
Probably changing countries,everything in my home country seemed easier,I had lots of friends,it was easier to interact with girls,who knows what I could have been had I stayed there,but there are things you just need to do.

yeah me too.. I can;t say this wouldn't have happened in my former country, but still, I think it would have been less severe...and bullying..

anomicdeer

I've always been shy so I think it's just that I started to be very independent and didn't go out much when I didn't live around the friends I've always had.

Illusions

I've been that shy, quiet girl for as long as I can remember. All I know is that as a kid I had selective mutism which slowly developed into SA in my early teen years. So I was born with it, I suppose.

AimeeSP

There was alot of what i'd call 'secret abuse' going on in my childhood, i put on a happy act but inside i was confused and unhappy. I guess because things happened so young i thought it was 'normal' so to the outside world i seemed a happy girl because i still had friends, laughed, smiled ect. My young self amazes me at how easy it was back then to just cover things up and get on with life, but like i said i thought what happend to me was normal. Because of what was going on at home i'd comfort eat and became chubby which resulted in me getting bullied at school and from my own family. When i turned 12 i changed alot. I learnt about things which were wrong and not suppose to happen to little girls, so i became severely depressed, anxious and withdrawn from everyone. It became alot harder to hide the pain. I guess for me this is the reason i have social anxiety.

Last edited:

zlench

When I was 15 got really bad I was withdrawn from most people for five years because of it.

I was super confident until high school. From about the age of 14-21 I just received put down after put down for how I looked and a minor speech impediment. I started high school super confident and left college 7 years later a nervous, self conscious, anxious wreck.

Yes it does seem that the root cause for most was bullying, put downs or negative judgements which made us feel negatively about ourselves and the parts of ourselves being judged negatively. I think its time we started boosting our confidence and developed some positive thinking on these parts of ourselves.