Ridiculous anxiety about telling my parents my laptop broke

jellzzz

hello everyone,

I have very bad anxiety, and i deal with a really irritating problem right now.

My laptop broke in october. The problem is that i am extremly scared of critisism, and i couldn't find the courage to tell my parents that the thing didn't work anymore. i tried and tried, but i just couldn't get the words out of my mouth. Now i just pretend that everything is fine, and i do most om my computer-stuff in school. It is january now, and they still have no idea what is wrong. It is really irritating though, mosly because i need a computer for a lot of my schoolwork. I also keep telling myself that i just can't lie about this forever, and that it is ridiculous that i don't tell them.

My boyfriend is the only one who knows about this problem, and he offered to give me his old computer. I really want to have a computer again, but than i have to tell my parents. i tried to tell them yesterday, when i was sick at home, but i just couldn't do it. i know it is kinda ridiculous, but i have no idea how to do this.

yesterday-evening i was exausted from all the trying, it felt like i was fighting my own brain, and i was losing.

Is there anybody who can help me win this fight?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Just a couple of ideas to go around the problem:

- Do you sometimes use text msg to communicate with your parents? If so, you could text them that your laptop just broke. This way you are stuck to talk about it when they come back home.

- Do you have a warranty on the laptop? If so you could return it yourself for repair.

- If you don't know what's broken on the computer, you could find someone to look at it or pay someone to look at it.

That's all I got for now, besides the obvious but not very helpful "GEEZ just tell them!!!"

Also, would you be able to identify the reason why you are so anxious about telling them? Is it because you are scared they will be mad at you for breaking the computer? Did you actually break the computer or is it the computer that broke itself?

Sacrament

What's so embarassing about telling them your laptop broke, though? It's a pretty normal thing to happen, electronics break down. Just tell them, but first tell yourself that it's really not the end of the world or even a big deal. After you get it fixed (or a new one, I don't know), try to learn a few things about IT, so you can learn how to see what's wrong with it and maybe even fix it next time.