resentful mother

LemonKiss

Hi. My mom is resentful towards me because I asked for help. I wish she wasn't. She thinks I'm weak. How did other parents feel about you and your social anxiety when you confronted them about it? Hopefully they took it better than my mom did.

maggie

LemonKiss said:
Hi. My mom is resentful towards me because I asked for help. I wish she wasn't. She thinks I'm weak. How did other parents feel about you and your social anxiety when you confronted them about it? Hopefully they took it better than my mom did.
hiya LemonKiss...i think it's a good thing you asked for help...when i lived at home i never discussed my anxiety or the difficulty i was having..with my parents..i just never felt they would understand..and now, i really don't understand how they didn't notice how much i was struggling with this..and never said..or did..anything :roll:

madeinuk

Mother love

When I used to talk to my mum about how I felt (SA) she would say it's normal that either everyone felt like that or most people. That's because she had social anxiety too but didn't realise it she just though it was normal. She thought people who didn't have it were nasty, rude and outspoken and intimidating. So basically she just made me feel worse.

It seems she's not able to offer emotinal support (like my mum) so you need to turn to someone else who knows how to be supportive and who doesnt have the disorder.

corrinaelizabeth

my parents try to be supportive and have been on most occasions,it took them a while to understand it but even now mum sometimes says im just very shy which really annoys me!

IceLad

When I was growing up, my mum told me not to share any problems with her as she'd only end up worrying!

I often think that my family have played a key part in developing my SP. Parents split up at an early age and continued to be at war with one another even after this, and my elder sibling was just a bully.

No one was very supportive at all, much to my cost.

Diluted_Acid

Yeah, my mum just always thought i was shy, and just somethin i'd grow out of. Then she thought i was gay :roll: . . . . . It was only until i really stressed how i'd been feeling in a more assertive/demanding approach (for once!) that she is know realising things. Yet because of her immense philosophical, garbage views (sorry if i offend anyone :( ), has for 4 years only put me through cognitive therapy and completely rejects medication, saying that for me to be better, i got to just think positive, and like myself . . . . . But i do think positive, and i do like myself :? . . . . . so i think it's alot deeper then this, and i'm only a bit frustrated that it's only know, at 17 years old, that my mum is actually helping me out, and slowly openening her doors to other options. Ah well, don't feel as if i got anywhere, or contributed much in saying all this, but if it helps some of you, or maybe touches some of you, and maybe you can relate to it, then good, so be it, because i could sure relate to alot of what had been said in this thread.

Krista

I just recently talked to my family about it and they didn't resent me for wanting to get help and said if I feel like it's that big of an issue they would try to do what I needed as much as possible. The only problem is that I feel my Aunt thinks it's not as big as I make it out to be, or she assumes that I'm a little shy but it's nothing I can't handle and I should just try to not let it affect me. Simple words coming from someone who doesn't have to deal with it and doesn't understand how crippling it can be.

Last edited:

Nack

Banned
Fact is cultures are different... I just can't go and confront them that i have S.A, let alone explain what S.A is to them. Old traditional Asian families are different, they believe you are you, and you can't change that. So this "confrontation" i cannot do...

Youre mom is off of her rocker with this one, she has no right to put you down like that. That is truly awful. Im sorry to hear that.