Research report on depression...

nikki_marie

Hello there!

as a once sufferer of depression, and also prone to having bouts of the horrible thing, for my college assignment im doing it about depression! i would love some volenteers to just fill out two very quick questionnaires, honestly like yes or no questions will take 2 minutes! if you could privet message me your email addresses i will email you thee attachment questions and send them back to my email address.

I think i have really cracked what it causing this modern illness and if people like i will attach my research findings so far, which im sure you will find astonishing as i did!

Thank you

nikki_marie

Yes i do! here it is. This is my background research findings and what is also believe to be true.

New research looks at the involvement of SSRI’s in the treatment of depression and has discovered they appear to increase neurogenesis (source).Neurogenesis is the birth of new cells in the brain, and throughout life new neurons will grow in the area of the brain called the hippocampus (responsible for memory).Research has shown that after several weeks of taking anti-depressants there is an increase of neurogenesis (The Guardian).This helps to explain why anti-depressants such as SSRI’s take one to four weeks to alleviate symptoms, suggesting it is neurogenesis that alleviates depression symptoms and not the inhibited reuptake of serotonin. This also suggests that the hippocampus is affected by depression by either cause or effect.

Reactive depression (sane.org.uk) is often caused by a specific stressful situation or an accumulation of a number of stressful situations. The body releases glucocorticoids in response to stressful experiences which are beneficial for homeostatic functions. Glucocorticoids act on the hippocampus, amygdala, and frontal lobes. Along with adrenaline these enhance the formation of flashbulb memories of events associated with strong emotions both positive and negative (Brown and Kulik, 1977). Elevated glucocorticoid levels result is damage to the hippocampus (Sapolsky et al, 1990). Damage to the Hippocampus results in decrease of serotonin 5HT receptor binding to the hippocampus and also a decrease in BDNF (Brain derived neurotrophic factor) which are proteins produced in the brain that promote neuron growth and stops neurons dying. BDNF may cause hippocampus atrophy (brain damage that impacts memory and spatial navigation) or cell death (Smith, 1995). Studies studying severe depression used MRI technology to image the hippocampus (Sapolsky, 2000) found that all subject reported hippocampus atrophy which did not resolve over time and appeared to be irreverable. If depression if caused by damage to the hippocampus due to stress, then the results explain why depression has a high lifetime prevalence rate; 9.7% for depression and anxiety and 2.6% depression (The Health & Social Care Information Centre, 2009)

Alternative therapies are also available for the treatment of depression. Meditation has now become popular in the west and psychologists are studying its effectiveness on treating depression. In a book titled; ‘Mindfulness’ (by Mark Williams, a professor in clinical psychology at the university of oxford, and Dr Danny Penman, PHD biochemistry) the use of meditation in treatment of depression is explored in the style of a self help book for the reader. Research in the book notes that people who meditate see a decrease in depression, anxiety and irritability (G.T. Hopkins et al, ‘using self report assessment methods to explore facets of mindfulness’ 2006) and note memory improvements (Jha et al ‘mindfulness training modifies subsystems of attention’ 2007). Research into the benefits of meditation is becoming a growing subfield in neurological science. Britta K. Holzel et al posted a research article titled; ‘Mindfulness practice leads to increases in regional brain gray matter density’. Research in the report revealed that those who meditated for about 30 minutes a day for eight weeks had measurable changes in gray-matter density in parts of the brain associated with memory, sense of self, empathy and reduced stress.

Meditation is not the only activity that triggers neurogenesis; research has been conducted into how exercise can also bring about neurogenesis in humans. Pereira et al. (2007) conducted research on the effects of aerobic exercise on the brain and concluded; ‘Research in humans and animals has shown that exercise improves mood and cognition. Physical activity also causes a robust increase in neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus, a brain area important for learning and memory’. (Neurogenesis and Exercise: Past and Future Directions, Henriette van Praag 16 January 2008).

Dr Steve Llardi, author of ‘The depression cure’, suggests that depression is an illness caused by modern day lifestyle. In his book he reports that modern day life of commuting to work, working in an office environment eating junk food goes against our DNA. He concluded that the result is; ‘We feel perpetually stressed. And the more we learn about depression neurologically, the more we learn that it represents the brain's runaway stress response’. His conclusions are supported by research previously discussed and by further research into depression rates amongst people who live in less industrialised societies such as The Kaluli people, Papua New Guinea, in which there was a 0% depression rate (Edward Schieffelin, 1976).
According to the office of national statistics, doctors in England issued 39.1 million prescriptions for various anti-depressants in 1991, compared to 9 million in 1991 (The Telegraph). Statistically 10% of adults are clinically depressed and only one quarter of these adults are receiving medication and/or counselling. An astonishing statistic is that people born after 1945 are 10% more likely to suffer from clinical depression at some point in their lives (taken from; Depression - Understand it, Treat it, Beat it). A survey conducted by KitKat Kubes for National stress awareness day (5th November) reported that 70% of people were stressed (‘we can all do something about stress’, HR Zone). The correlation between depression and the brains stress response is interesting and has an excellent amount of research to suggest new explanations in possible alternative causes of depression.

surewhynot

So, just to dumb it down, you're saying that high levels of stress can result in depression by damaging parts of the brain which are related to serotonin production? Sounds about right.

A Many Splendored Thing

I've hypothesized our 'modern day lifestyle' has been causing this in many people... Nobody would be able to live like this in the past.

And the brain's reaction to damage would either be fight or flight. Social anxiety could be a reaction to protect the brain from more damage.
--
The human race has now become so revolved around time that it's affecting some of the population thanks to the stress.

So perhaps another good thing to help alleviate stress would reduce schedule/try to be early. Even if you're stressed out having to go somewhere, at least you won't be stressed about being late.

Your theory makes logical sense Nikki.:thumbup:

nikki_marie

So, just to dumb it down, you're saying that high levels of stress can result in depression by damaging parts of the brain which are related to serotonin production? Sounds about right.

Yes simply put thats exactly what i am saying. If you go on any website that outlines the symptoms of stress, you will see pretty much all the diagnostics needed for depression in there too! which actualy i find very scary because we say to make lifestyle changes to manage stress, we stick people who are depressed on medication, which scientists dont even fully understand why and how it works! I am saying that depression is the result of chronic stress, or you could say chonic stress is depression!

I believe this is why when people take antidepressants their mood is lifted while on the drugs for reasons outlined in my research, but the problem is when people come off them they often find themselves in square one...and this is because they go back into their stressful modern day lives. I think if more people were educated in lifestyle management as well as seeking medical treatment you would have people who get better and stay well.

Im a little bit of a conspiracy theory follower too which doesnt help lol but! If you really take the time to think about it, If depression is caused by the stress of modern day living and by that we mean (as a society) the modern means of production e.g. profits then it would make no sense for scientists to say 'our lifestyles are making us ill! i suggest people cut their work loads, stop consumming crap and make time for exercise. also while your at it rebuild community spirit' no ofcourse not. People who pull the strings work hard to maxmise profits and for that you need human resource who are rewarded with nice things such as '25k a year' to afford your new car, nice flat etc. thing is they are raising costs but not wages...this is to save money because they know you will work longer hours to maintain this lifestyle that your now used too. so they can further maximise profits from human labour without hiring anymore staff, in which you need to provide work benefits.

Back to the issue. Knowing this why would anyone in power tell you that you are infact in danger of becomming chronically stressed, they just call it something different 'depression' and for that you need a pill. Your brain will, while on it, artificially recover from chronic stress, hence you will be able to work still.

Now im not down playing depression at all! it is a horrible illess, that i have had on and off for 7 years now! hence my passion for the topic. Just take into account it is not only lifestyle that causes stress. We know death, a traumatic experience or maybe even percieved critiscm can cause stress and is also a known trigger of depression. Even social anxiety can proberly be traced back to some kind of meaningful event to the individual, and as mentioned is most likely a survival mechanism.

This topic is very close to my heart and i want to eventually publish a book about all this as I dont like how the world is going. (dont worry i will have proof read as i know my spelling and grammer is appualing). Infact i want to start it next year, so if anyone fancies submitting their stories of their experiences with depression that would be very useful reference which will be kept annonamous!