Research Opportunities: Genetics of Hyperhidrosis Study

cm123

Research Opportunities: Genetics of Hyperhidrosis Study

Genes are the instuctions that tell our bodies how to work, and they play a role in telling our bodies how much to sweat. Genes are passed down from parent to child and family members share some of the same genes. The goal of studying genes is to identify those genes that are responsible for excessive sweating and ultimately to use this knowledge to find a way to control or cure the excessive sweating in affected individuals.

In order to accomplish this, this study is looking for affected individuals to sign a HIPAA form and an informed consent, to complete a medical and family history form and to submit a sample of their buccal cells. This is accomplished by rinsing the mouth with Scope mouthwash and spitting into a small container. No travel is required and there is no cost to participants. Kits are sent through the mail and a stamped, self addressed envelope is provided for study materials to be returned.

This study is particularly interested in identifying families with multiple affected members, but even isolated individuals are accepted into the study.

The researchers would like to asure you that any materials you submit will be kept confidential. The study research records will be kept confidential and you will not be identified in any written or verbal reports. Although no specific results will be provided to individuals, in the long term they believe their study will improve the lives of families affected by hyperhidrosis.

In exchange for your participation, they will do their best to keep you updated on the results of the studies they do.

Eligibility Requirements

If you answer “YES” to any of the following questions, and live in the US you are probably eligible to participate in this study:

• Has a doctor ever told you that you have “Hyperhidrosis”?

• Do you experience excessive sweating when you are not overheated or in an anxious state?

• Do you experience a sudden increase in the amount of sweat from your hands or feet when stressed?

• When you walk barefoot, do you leave puddles on the floor?

• Do you have any immediate biological relatives who were diagnosed with hyperhidrosis?

Travel not necessary

Contact Information:

Drs. Robert D. Burk and Steven M. Keller
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Ullmann Building Room 515
300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, New York 10461
United States
877-444-2525 (toll free)
[email protected]

International Hyperhidrosis Society: Getting Help: Clinical & Market Research

Jezza

Nice to see research and development happening for Hyperhidrosis.

While I'm glad to see ANY research going on into HH

I contacted these people years (ok, maybe 2 years) ago when the same study was already going on...IMO it would be much more interesting to see all that research going into to examining differences in levels of actual substances in people between groups of people with HH and groups of people without HH. Take a group of people with HH, take a group of people without HH, and start measuring stuff. A little more hands-on please. That would be much more likely to see any results, and it has hardly been done yet. Seriously HOW HARD CAN IT BE? Start by measuring the CGRP levels of a group of HH sufferers and a group of controls. There is one study I know of that similarly studied Nitric Oxide levels in HH patients versus controls by Karaca (2007), who has done some research into HH, sure enough, NO was elevated in HH sufferers. Now THAT is what I call proper research.

Still, it's easy enough and who knows, maybe it'll help.

Last edited:

Nicholas

Crap. Why research into genetics when they don't even know the CAUSES of HH? First you study the causes, to understand where this crap comes from, and then you should move on to research on whether it is genetic or not. We all know it already seems to be a genetic problem. But we still don't know anything about how it works... is it the nerves? The glands? The nervous system? What? No one knows. It drives me crazy.

cm123

Crap. Why research into genetics when they don't even know the CAUSES of HH? First you study the causes, to understand where this crap comes from, and then you should move on to research on whether it is genetic or not. We all know it already seems to be a genetic problem. But we still don't know anything about how it works... is it the nerves? The glands? The nervous system? What? No one knows. It drives me crazy.

They believe the cause to be Genetic.

I encourage everyone to take five mins of their time and contact the people conducting the study and sign up.

S

SlipStreamss7

I was adopted at birth and have literally no knowledge of my parents except for a few facts:

1) Mom smoked a half pack a day, every day during pregnancy (god, what an idiot!).
2) Diabetes sorta runs in the family (have been checked for it, don't have it)

I have axillary hyperhidrosis, but recently I think it developed into the foot sweating as well. It seems to get worse and worse as my life goes on. I've developed anxiety issues and check-recheck ocd as well. I'd like to help out with this, but can't until I go back to college for the next semester. I'll check back on this thread.