Religious debate

LoyalXenite

Actually theres a fair bit of inaccuracy there, https://bellejar.ca/2013/03/28/easter-is-not-named-after-ishtar-and-other-truths-i-have-to-tell-you/ explains it pretty nicely. For those who dont want to click here are the main points:

"Ishtar was associated with fertility and sex. However, her symbols were the lion, the gate and the eight-pointed star; I can’t find any evidence of eggs or rabbits symbolically belonging to her. And Easter has nothing to do with her. "

"Most scholars believe that Easter gets its name from Eostre or Ostara**, a Germanic pagan goddess. "

Re: Constantine "when he was alive, English didn’t even exist yet. He would have spoken Latin or Ancient Greek, so would likely have referred to Easter as Pascha or Πάσχα. "

So while you're right about Christianity stealing yet another holiday and branding it as their own, this is one of those they took from Paganism

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Actually theres a fair bit of inaccuracy there, https://bellejar.ca/2013/03/28/easter-is-not-named-after-ishtar-and-other-truths-i-have-to-tell-you/ explains it pretty nicely. For those who dont want to click here are the main points:

"Ishtar was associated with fertility and sex. However, her symbols were the lion, the gate and the eight-pointed star; I can’t find any evidence of eggs or rabbits symbolically belonging to her. And Easter has nothing to do with her. "

"Most scholars believe that Easter gets its name from Eostre or Ostara**, a Germanic pagan goddess. "

Re: Constantine "when he was alive, English didn’t even exist yet. He would have spoken Latin or Ancient Greek, so would likely have referred to Easter as Pascha or Πάσχα. "

So while you're right about Christianity stealing yet another holiday and branding it as their own, this is one of those they took from Paganism
I have to admit I didn't really give that info a great deal of thought (I usually do before I post something like that).
I should have realised because it's well known Easter is originally a Pagan thing.
Thanks for the correction! (y):)

LoyalXenite

I have to admit I didn't really give that info a great deal of thought (I usually do before I post something like that).
I should have realised because it's well known Easter is originally a Pagan thing.
Thanks for the correction! (y):)

Tbh I really only know coz I shared that very image a few years back and my uncle corrected me (he likes to research the history of things so he already knew the origins)

lily

while I don't know which 5000 you're talking about or have that much education, my sister is more educated than me and she is a believer in Jesus Christ, the Lord for a good reason and my faith also developed strongly but for example, in Buddhism you'll see that they're man-made carved images of gods and what my sister told me was that, that man didn't claim he was god, but in the Holy Bible, it's claimed to be real. Just for thought.

PugofCrydee

while I don't know which 5000 you're talking about or have that much education, my sister is more educated than me and she is a believer in Jesus Christ, the Lord for a good reason and my faith also developed strongly but for example, in Buddhism you'll see that they're man-made carved images of gods and what my sister told me was that, that man didn't claim he was god, but in the Holy Bible, it's claimed to be real. Just for thought.
Hi Lily
We have disagreed on religious matters before (which is perfectly fine) so I'll respectfully try to make comment on your comment. Please remember I'm actually happy for people to practice their chosen religion - so long as it's peaceful and they don't try to coerce or force others in to it.

I find pointing to the bible as proof, or claiming quotes from the bible are evidence that your chosen religion/god is real/fact is.. well, no evidence or proof at all.

If I wrote a story about a blue flying jellyfish (BFJ) that is going to save us all, and someone asked me to provide evidence or proof that the BFJ existed, would pointing out that there's a story about the BFJ be evidence in your eyes?

lily

Hi Lily
We have disagreed on religious matters before (which is perfectly fine) so I'll respectfully try to make comment on your comment. Please remember I'm actually happy for people to practice their chosen religion - so long as it's peaceful and they don't try to coerce or force others in to it.

I find pointing to the bible as proof, or claiming quotes from the bible are evidence that your chosen religion/god is real/fact is.. well, no evidence or proof at all.

If I wrote a story about a blue flying jellyfish (BFJ) that is going to save us all, and someone asked me to provide evidence or proof that the BFJ existed, would pointing out that there's a story about the BFJ be evidence in your eyes?
Hi PugofCrydee, That's because you believe it's only a story, you have set your mind on unbelieving and didn't give it a chance, but perhaps God just didn't draw you to Him yet and it's not your timing. I'm not sure. I believe God gives everyone a fair chance because God is love and that's the important message of the gospel- to love the Lord, your God with all your heart, soul and mind and to love others as yourself. Thanks for your kindness and trying to be respectful. That's how we should be, I agree. Take care.

lily

Sorry, I forgot to say that the Holy bible is not just a story, it's written by I think apostles of God and is inspired by God.

PugofCrydee

What of the people who believe in other gods? Why are they wrong and you correct? So you're saying all other cultures on earth are wrong?

Here's a link showing just how many gods are or have been worshipped.

lily

What of the people who believe in other gods? Why are they wrong and you correct? So you're saying all other cultures on earth are wrong?

Here's a link showing just how many gods are or have been worshipped.
my answer would be in this post below. Somewhere along those lines.
Also, I feel that this is the one and only and real God. I think you can also find historical evidence of it too. Sorry I couldn't be of more help yet. I haven't dived into it yet due to hinderances.

lily

science is limited because science is about starting with SOMETHING, about MATTER but what created that "something" or "matter". It is GOD, created YOU and ME and the WORLD, a God who is a higher power, GREATER than us and smarter than us and beyond our understanding. So I guess the question in this thread is on which God rather than if there is a God? If you have more energy than me as I can start next year when I get off all of my medications but it's as simple as doing a little research perhaps like the Buddha, that man, he claims not to be a god but in the Holy Bible, Jesus claims to be Lord and the one and only true God and the book is inspired by God. We are in the darkness when we are lost and controlled by good and evil influences and need to come to the Lord who is light and righteousness, holy and pure in heart and mind and who takes care of us and all our needs.

Last edited: