Really worried that I wont be able to try anymore meds.

RossPK81

What can I do?

Here's the story, I had only tried six different meds which either didn't work or they did work but the side effects were too bad and my doc seemed to be totally against trying anymore.

I told her that I'd only tried about six different meds and there could still easily be one out there that would work for me'

She then gave me this 'glare' as though she thought I was 'challenging' her or something.

She explained the reason why, which I can't remember, but it didn't really seem like a good enough one.

So, I started seeing a different doctor, thinking things would be different. After all everyone who has social anxiety online seems to be able to keep trying different meds until they find one that works, I've never heard of doctors suddenly not letting them try anymore after they've only tried a few.

Well anyway, he let me try another med (which I'm on now), but then after going back and asking him if I could try something else since this med doesn't really seem to be working for me and I don't like the side effect I'm getting which is putting on loads of weight on my stomach.

He seemed to be totlaly against me trying anymore meds too, and said I should try CBT first (which hasn't worked for me at all).

I really want to try another med since this one diesn't really seem to be working for me, and because I don't like the side effect, but I'm worried he wont let me try anymore. I could go and see another doctor but I've got a feeling they're going to be the same, plus they might be pissed of at me for switiching a lot of doctors trying to try a different med.

Med's seemed to be my only hope, but now that's taken away from me and I can't understand why.

Everyone else is able to keep trying meds until they find one that works, yet I'm not allowed too. It's awfull seeing everyone else getting treatment for their social anxiety yet I'm sat here and I'm not allowed it, it just seems so wrong.

I can't understand what the reason is for just giving up after only trying a few different meds, when there could still easily be one out there that will work for me.

What can I do?

SilentType

Banned
How long had you been on each of the medications? What medications have you tried? Those are two things I need to know before I can answer your question.

Peace

RedRibbons

Your doctors are there to help you. They probably don't really condone trying a million different meds because of the effects that switching may have on your body. When people try different medication, I don't think they have tried like.. 6 different kinds, and pretty much all medication is going to have side effects.

Why don't you ask your doctor if there is a problem with trying many different types of medication? That could probably get you answers, instead of assuming.

Your doctor suggesting that you try CBT before any other medication shows that he/she really cares. If your doctor didn't give a crap, he would prescribe you different medication right left and center.

That being said. I too think you should try CBT, if you haven't yet. In my opinion any medication used to control or alter your mind state is not a good idea. To me, it masks the real problem, and you never fully learn how to cope and deal with your problem in the first place.

I hope that helps, try not to be too stubborn or pessimistic to the idea of a non-medicated recovery. Open your mind to alternate healing methods, it can really help. Good luck. :)

RossPK81

SilentType said:
How long had you been on each of the medications? What medications have you tried? Those are two things I need to know before I can answer your question.

Peace

Anything from a month to 3 months. I can't remember all the meds I've tried, but I've tried Citalopram, Sertraline? some meds which weren't SSRI's (I think they were MAOI's or something), and the med I'm on now is dosulpin.

winnipegjets

The problem is you have never been prescribed NARDIL. Nardil is an MAOI. Nardil is the best drug for social anxiety.