Really feel alone in Sydney!

lonely_down_under

Hey everyone, anyone from Sydney? I love the city and everything but no one to hang out with. Feels so alone being home despite of being in such an awesome city.

Does anyone feel the same?

RichyRoo

I feel totally lonely here. Im all the way from the UK and ive only been here 2 months. I was fine when i got here but every day is getting harder and harder. Im working in IT recruitment too which is soooo not a good job. Meeting important clients and big business tpye people is very daunting. I had CBT when i was back in the UK and it kind of helped but now i feel back at square one. Any advice for a lost Pom? I'd like to find out where i could get some more CBT or even meet at a health group. Please help!!!!

Waybuloo

RichyRoo said:
I feel totally lonely here. Im all the way from the UK and ive only been here 2 months. I was fine when i got here but every day is getting harder and harder. Im working in IT recruitment too which is soooo not a good job. Meeting important clients and big business tpye people is very daunting. I had CBT when i was back in the UK and it kind of helped but now i feel back at square one. Any advice for a lost Pom? I'd like to find out where i could get some more CBT or even meet at a health group. Please help!!!!

Hi there, I can understand where you are coming from, as i've done the opposite, i went to the UK from Australia. I was fine when i got here, until i started working. How long are you planning to stay there for? Is there a way for you to continue therapy there? Do you know anyone in Australia? Were you able to handle your job back in the UK? You are brave for making such a move anyhow, if you need someone to talk to, give me a pm. :)

dwn10w

hey does CBT works?

i work in d city and since i have social anxiety (phobia) i'm running out of places to hide out during lunch. anyone with d same problem?? if anyone working in d city wanna start a lunch buddy group or something, let me know

Lexine

Hi everyone,

I thought I might be able to help with RichyRoo's question. Firstly it's great to hear that CBT seemed to help when you were in the UK, but it sounds as though you think you might need a refresher.

I am a clinical psychologist and researcher at the Centre for Emotional Health at Macquarie University (Sydney), where we have a research clinic aimed at learning more about social anxiety, and how best to help people who experience it. One of the goals of our clinic is to develop treatment programs to help people develop practical skills and strategies to cope with their anxiety, so they are able to get out and do the things they want to do with their life. We offer group treatments, which our clients find really beneficial as they have the opportunity to meet other people with similar concerns, and practice the skills with each other while they are learning them.

Our treatments are based on cognitive behavioural therapy, and so far our results have been very promising! Our research shows us that after treatment, people experience less symptoms of social anxiety (e.g. panicky feelings, shaking, blushing, sweating, mind blanks, dwelling on negative thoughts), and have been able to make significant improvements to their quality of life (things like finding a new job, getting back to study, or joining a sporting or social group). Our clients often report feeling more self confident and happier in their own skin.

I think it is really important that people are aware that there are steps you can take to get help for social anxiety. It takes a lot of courage to take that first step, but from what I have seen from my clients, it is definitely worth it. Our treatment programs are supported by our research funding, so we are able to offer them at very low cost to you (and some programs are free).
If you want to find out more about our programs, you can visit our website: Centre for Emotional Health - Department of Psychology - Macquarie University
Phone us on 9850 8711, or email us at [email protected]
Wishing you all the best!
-Lexine

juju

Honestly, your a swanky looking guy - trust me your lonely days are sure to be over soon. Just keep believing in yourself

Off The Wall

Arghh the city sucks! lol. Nice place i guess but damn there is alot of people. I will avoid it at all costs. I live out west.. of sydney. And yes it pretty much does get lonely you can only enjoy your own company for so long.

limetree

Yup I feel pretty different from most people I've met here and I don't get many opportunities to meet new people. I'm trying CBT atm but I'm still pretty pessimistic :/