Read if you're bored and feel like - possibly - helping

lally

Lately, everything has been scaring me. Or I should say making me extremely anxious. I worry about my future, who doesn't? I'm 16, and I know I've got a long life ahead of me but I feel like it won't go anywhere because I read threads on here of people twice my age and have gotten nowhere in life. I'm just so afraid I might turn out like that. Okay, I know I know, you just gotta throw yourself into scary situation to get over it. Yeah, but it's so much easier said than done.

Things I'm afraid of:
-Moving out
-Having a job
-Driving everywhere
-Buying stuff (I hate going into stores)
-My future
-Not getting a job I actually like
-Not able to learn a stick shift (I know stupid, but I'm fucking scared to learn I mess up everytime.)
-Going to college
-Taking classes (I'm homeschooled so it scares me a lot.)

Of course, a lot of people say they're a little bit scared to move out. It's just normal blah blah blah. But I have a panic attack when thinking about that. I know I've got a couple more years or so til then but I'm already worrying.

My mom says "Aly, you should think about getting a job." But here's the problem: I HAVE NO MOTIVATION TO GET A JOB OR BUY MYSELF A CAR! Ok, what the fuck is wrong with me? My mom for example, had all the motivation in the world! She moved out when she was my age. Had a job, a car, and an apartment. I feel like if I'm not like her I'm just a messed piece of shit who's just a slacker. But really, why don't I feel the need to get a mundane, boring, repetitve job and be able to afford my own car? WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR ME TO CARE ABOUT IT?! GAH!

Okay, I need to calm down. I guess...fuck....I don't even know what the point of this thread was. I guess I'm hoping people have experienced the same things as me and could tell me how they overcame it. I'm not looking for "Oh..I'm so sorry" posts. I just want some help I guess.

Great, now I feel pathetic and worthless. Just in time for bed! Oh joy. I love being cynical to the max. Who's gonna read my post and care? I'm guessing. 1 person. And if I'm right, I will reward myself with a nice hot cup of coffee. Wait..I already do that. Nevermind.

Alright I'm serious. My threads complete. Laugh at me all you want. But don't feel sorry for me, because then I just feel sorry for myself and then I just start loathing myself..eh..

*ends*

Sacrament

Make a list of things you want to do, from easiest to hardest. Going to the store is actually fun because you buy things for yourself and it makes you feel good about it. It's also fun browing, choosing brand X in lieu of brand Y, etc. I'm looking forward to having my driver's license (although the classes/exams scare me a lot) because I'll be able to drive everywhere, go anywhere if I need to get out, etc.

First things first, lally. Don't think about everything at the same time. 16 is not as old as you think, so take it easy.

lally

Sacrament said:
Make a list of things you want to do, from easiest to hardest. Going to the store is actually fun because you buy things for yourself and it makes you feel good about it. It's also fun browing, choosing brand X in lieu of brand Y, etc. I'm looking forward to having my driver's license (although the classes/exams scare me a lot) because I'll be able to drive everywhere, go anywhere if I need to get out, etc.

First things first, lally. Don't think about everything at the same time. 16 is not as old as you think, so take it easy.

But I don't have anything I want to do. All I want to do is buy some music books and possibly a new Keyboard someday. I never feel good when I buy things from a store though...I'm always like "shit, why did I waste my money." afterwards. And browsing is something that I don't like doing..I mean if I'm in a store, I wanna know what I'm getting most of the time and get in and out of it as soon as possible, instead of dreaming of the things I want. I know 16 isn't old, but people sure as hell make it seem like it is.

I think what you may be suffering from is a chronic case of "worrying"
My only advice really is to STOP this worrying (for obvious reasons!)
Okay, you have all these specific anxieties, or worries, which are all "valid", if that's the right term (one of my past shrinks used this word all the time). I think you'll find that MOST people (if not ALL people) have various forms of this malady .. the Q might not be so much as how to "RESOLVE" these fears (concerning the future), but how to STOP THINKING/WORRYING ABOUT THEM (triggereing negative feelings)

And try not to "sweat the small stuff" (as ther's more than enough "big stuff" in our lives to worry about!)

And get your now to tell your future to f*ck-off, and not to f*ck with your present (or, past, to your future)

Hope this helps you a bit..

Okay, you have all these specific anxieties, or worries, which are all "valid", if that's the right term (one of my past shrinks used this word all the time). I think you'll find that MOST people (if not ALL people) have various forms of this malady .. the Q might not be so much as how to "RESOLVE" these fears (concerning the future), but how to STOP THINKING/WORRYING ABOUT THEM (triggereing negative feelings)

And try not to "sweat the small stuff" (as ther's more than enough "big stuff" in our lives to worry about!)

And get your now to tell your future to f*ck-off, and not to f*ck with your present (or, past, to your future)

jamez

As long as you use the things you buy it's never a waste of money. A keyboard is good to keep you occupied, and music is always soothing. A thing that helps me get over worrying about the little things like other people, jobs, money, girls etc. is just imagining our place in the universe, picture how small the world is compared to our sun, then our sun to our galaxy and then the galaxy to the other millions of other galaxies around the universe. It makes you feel small but makes our problems feel minute.

lally

jamez said:
As long as you use the things you buy it's never a waste of money. A keyboard is good to keep you occupied, and music is always soothing. A thing that helps me get over worrying about the little things like other people, jobs, money, girls etc. is just imagining our place in the universe, picture how small the world is compared to our sun, then our sun to our galaxy and then the galaxy to the other millions of other galaxies around the universe. It makes you feel small but makes our problems feel minute.

Funny that you mention the universe. I think that way all the time..it kind of does help actually heh.

lally

thesmallestloser said:

Thank you for the comment, I'll try my best at stopping my worries.

dottie

Is your mom feeding into your fears? Sounds like she is stressing you out. The thing is, you aren't going to have to do all of these things at once. Once you learn how to drive and gain experience it isn't that scary. You will fuck up, everyone fucks up when they learn stick, so don't be hard on yourself about that. Even after you learn and gain experience, you will still stall out every now and then. It happens. Just like Sacrament said, take one step at a time. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised once you actually get that taste of freedom.